Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roll holder problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Roll holder problem Reply with quote

I just bought a 2x3 roll holder to use on my 2x3 RB Series B. Images of it can be seen for a short while at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=390068971614

If you'll look at the picture of the roll holder's front, you'll see that it has a slot to engage the end of the camera's gate, also a ridge on the gate side of the slot. My cameras Graflex back has felt on the surface that mates with film holders. There's no recess to accept the roll holder's ridge. I've probed the back with a pin, there doesn't seem to be a recess hiding under the felt.

As is the roll holder won't attach properly. What am I missing? What mistake am I making?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted the felt. With the felt off, the holder attaches but is very loose.

With the felt replaced (have to glue it back down), the holder will attach (it takes a very big push) and is tight. So that's what I missed. Push really hard.

Unfortunately there's a problem with the shell. The insert floats a bit in it. I swapped one of my inserts into the shell, it floats too. The new insert doesn't float in the first of my shells I grabbed.

It seems that the new shell's hinge is a bit sloppy. My three shells have much "tighter" hinges. Suggestions?

The best I can think of is to return the holder and keep on looking.

Cheers,

Dan
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan,
I have roll-film holders for both my 3x4 RB and 2x3 Crown (with Graflex back). The holder for the RB has no ridge -- just the slot. The 2x3 holder looks exactly like yours. On my Graphic the ridge extends about 1/4 inch beyond the side of the back and doesn't mate with anything. I imagine the back on your Graflex must be wider if the ridge is meant to sit in some kind of recess.
I bought my 2x3 holder from a seller on the auction site who was also selling a 2x3 RB separately, so the holder must have fit that camera.
Your holder must be seated correctly (all the way to the left) if you got the slot to fit the ridge on the camera back. Seating a Graflex holder can be fiddly.
Is it possible the back of your camera was modified in some way?
In any case, the ridge doesn't seem to be necessary to trap light. The holder on my Crown doesn't leak. Failing all else, it should be OK to file down the ridge so it sits flush with the camera back.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, your posting crossed mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: