Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the monster price on this Graflex??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Why the monster price on this Graflex?? Reply with quote

Hi folks - I was just trolling eBay and came across this Auto going for huge money. I saw a the same model Auto go last week for $150. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for any perspective. No relation to sale, etc. If the link does not work, it might help to know that the auction number is 200337453510.

And how about them holders - do they really fit the camera??

Semi

http://cgi.ebay.com/Auto-Graflex-Kodak-wood-Camera-film-mags-holders_W0QQitemZ200337453510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200337453510&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two very determined bidders who seem to be "nibbling" each other up. Ask them what's so wonderful about the camera.
semihemi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand your answer, but in any case what's your take on the holders? Do they fit the camera?

Thanks.
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! It sold for $660.00

There was a 2x3 Century with a 105mm Kodak 5 element f:3.7 Ektar in a Flash Supermatic Shutter going for many times what I paid for mine some three - four years ago.
Very nice lens, but the value is in the eyes and the wallet of the buyer. Go figure!
It has some nice accessories that I didn't get, but it is still sold for many times what I paid. Nice package, I hope the buyer likes it.

As either a buyer or seller, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150342651088

Last edited by tsgrimm on Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 am; edited 4 times in total
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semihemi wrote:
Not sure I understand your answer, but in any case what's your take on the holders? Do they fit the camera?

Thanks.
No idea, sorry.
willysmb

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5x7 cut films holders are not for this camera, it need sloatted cut film holders.
Regards
semihemi

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thought too, as far as the holders go. The sellers specifically calls out otherwise in his answer at the bottom of the ad. If you read everything carefully, and look at the pictures in the link he supplies, it also seems that the mirror does not operate correctly! He says, "2) The curtain shutter does open when the trigger is worked - but only opens 1/2 way ... I don't know whether I am working the camera correctly, but the sping mechanism may be loose or something." I think he is in fact speaking about the mirror, because the photos in the link show the mirror only swinging half way up. Not sure why I became obsessed with this auction. Hope I recover soon!

Not sure either what the new owner is going to think when he finds out the holders don't fit!

Semi.
bruiser

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in reply to TSGrimm's last post, I did have a good laugh at that Century Graphic going for $660!!! Camera$ had a Graflex Combat45 going for $533.80 at the same time and I know which one will hold its value better.

Looking at the bids it was obviously two combatants fighting to the death, glory over common sense. Even funnier is that there was another Century Graphic going for $195 Buy it Now! It does have the Triotar lens and not the Ektar but but over $400 difference?????

Cheers,
Bruce
DHF845

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: overpriced 5x7 Graflex SLR Reply with quote

Reply to semihemi- I think 5x7 Graflexes sell for more because: There weren't as many 5x7's made as smaller sizes. They're scarce today. The last 5x7 was made in 1941. 5x7's were in demand for professional use and not many survived. Lastly, prices are driven by demand.
Why are Press Graflexes selling for $500-$1000? Because collectors want them, and some will pay it.
The camera in question's an early (flat octagonal control plates) 3rd version (1915-1923) 5x7 Auto Graflex in nice shape. Moderately interesting due to its unique body style and large size. That being said, I don't think it's worth over $200-but then, I don't want one.

Last edited by DHF845 on Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that $660 Century *did* have the highly desirable f/3.7 105mm Ektar lens, plus an RH10 roll film holder, and the long
optical finder, and the Kalart, *and* it included the folding focussing hood, which I have seen removed from cameras and
sold separately (which is kinda like selling a car without the engine), plus everythng appeared to be in excellent condition,
so all in all it probably wasn't too high a price, IMO. I paid $285 for my gray/red bellows Century a few years ago at a
local camera store, and it came with bottom-of-the-line Century shutter and Graflar f/4.5 103mm lens and five 2x3 cut film
holders (practically useless except for the dark slides!) only. The rest of my kit (roll holders, filters, Optar lenses, etc., etc.)
I had to acquire separately at added $$, so I think the buyer got an OK deal but w/o bragging rights!
DHF845

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Demand for Graphics has risen Reply with quote

Reply to Henry- Red/gray Centuries seem to sell for a lot more because they're more attractive. AFAIK, the red/gray models are not mechanically better, only slightly harder to find. Seems like demand-driven (not value-based) economics. Probably due to collector interest, not practical photographic needs.
$250 and up for a 23 Century with Trioptar lens seems inflated to me, no matter what color the bellows are.
A year ago I bought a clean '49 Century with RF, VF, GG panel, Trioptar lens, Graphic 23 back, for $100 plus S/H (a good price since it came with the roll-film back-I'd have bid up to ~$140). I have since replaced the lens with a scavenged 105 Heliar in Compur-Rapid, and the Graphic 23 with an RH-10 Rapid-Vance. It's a lightweight folding hand camera, pleasant to use, easy to shoot with.
Personally, I prefer shooting photos with LF Graflex SLR's (an acquired taste). I'm in the minority here-there's probably ten times more Graphic users. I think most people buying LF Graflex SLR's today are collectors, not photographers.
IMNSHO, collectors will pay more for a camera than a photographer.

Last edited by DHF845 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you got an exceptional deal on your Century! I thought when I bought mine that $285 was a bit steep, but OTOH
it was in pristine condition and I could see, feel, and try out what I was buying---which I always prefer to blind
purchases on the 'bay. We always try to get the best deal for ourselves, but after all it's only money and you can't
take it with you!
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about a year ago that I picked up a 2x3 Crown with the 105mm Ektar. If I remember correctly I paid over $270 for just the camera. I have seen a couple of 2x3 Speed outfits with the 105mm Ektar sell for over $300. I see about 3 or 4 a year come up in the usual place so there are not that many being sold that have this lens. I think that a 105mm Ektar on a 2x3 pacemaker board sold for over $150 a while back.

Regards,
Dave
DHF845

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: About Prices Reply with quote

Henry & mopar_guy- I got lucky, I would have bid up if needed. OTOH, it's a plain black/black model, with cheap lens/shutter. Strictly a budget model.
There were about ten Century 23's at auction at the time, half of them with red bellows. Others had Ektar/Supermatic or Xenar/Compur lenses. A minty red/gray Century with a premium lens is easily worth $250. I'd have liked one, if it was within budget. They're nice looking cameras and take great photos.
I waited until I could get one within my budget. I know the value of these cameras. As a photographer, I can't always afford it.
With patience, low-price cameras come around. Plus I do a lot of refurbishing/cleaning and repairs before they're battle ready.
Once in a while you just get lucky. I picked up a clean, lightly used, carefully stored 3x4 Series D with a rare 3x4 Graflex 23 roll back, for about 50.00$ No one else bid on it. Go figure. It's my mainstay, I use it with about 6 different lenses. It has produced my best photos.
vehicle2CV

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: I bought it Reply with quote

Hi all;
I am the guy that bought the camera and holders. I was aware the the DS-holders were for the graphic-type back. I also bought the first camera from this seller (same size and type) and only 11 numbers apart. The camera needs a bit of renovation, but works, and appears to be light-tight. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: