Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning, and general renovation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob.B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Cleaning, and general renovation. Reply with quote

Hi.

Just aquiered a Garoflex View, not sure if MKI or MKII, seems to be in working order but could do with a clean, particularly the bellows.

Any ideas as to what materiams should be used or avoided?

Also how do I:
1. Work out if it is a MKI or a MKII
2. Get some sort of estimate of it's age.

Rob.
Rob.B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging in the box, god knows what it's made of there is a smaller bellows (lens shade?) and a film back that has seen better days.

Any ideas on how the shade thing is attached to the front standard as I can't seem to figure it out, (It too needs a good clean with something or other).

Rob.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
For cleaning and maintenance tips, check this out:

www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5059

Some of the products mentioned are commonly available in the USA but I am not sure of UK counterparts.

Regards,
Dave
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
Rob.B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers, most of that is not available in the UK, or is v.difficult to near impossible get hold of. So I am going to try dilute lemon juice applied by cotton bud on the lens shade bellows followed by a tretment of beeswax. Then move to the main bellows after that if it sems ok.

Rob.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob if you are mechanically inclined, it might not be a bad idea to dissassemble the standard and clean and re-lube mating surfaces and esspecially the gearerd focussing controls. They get gunked up badly over time and this causes a lot of drag and unwanted wear.
If you didn't already know it, the knob can be pulledout and the standrard base willslide down the rail saving wear on the gears and teeth. I've had three GV's and a Toyo G that none would focus very well, and after good service were then really nice and smooth, huge difference.
I clean with WD-40 and or Simple green degreaser, and then afterwiping down and drying parts, I use a light lube grease.
For your bellows and the rest of the camera you might try looking for a mild lemon furniture polish similar to our Pledge. It really is the thing. Avoid using anything harsh on the bellows like an acetone or Laquer thinner base. My Speed and Crowns get wiped down inside and out after cleaning with Pledge and dry clean rags.
The small mini bellows is called a compendium shade and mounts with the thumb screw on top of the front standard. Worth the price or more than the camera itself sometimes.
To varify which GV you have, just read here under the GV info page, but to tell just look at your tilt movements. The GVI axis is at the base and the GVII axis is centered half way up the standards.
Here's the link to the GV pages:
http://www.graflex.org/articles/graphic-view/

GVII in the middle, and GVI to the right...
Have fun
Rob.B

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rubble at the bottom of the box is a second lens, wrapped in paper. It was attached to what was possibly a "home made" wooden lensboard which has split into three. As the lens appears to be in good condition, what modern lens boards will fit the View, or could be modified to fit. I have no intention of modifying the front standard.

Rob
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: cleaning and general renovation Reply with quote

The lens board is 4x4 in sq I believe, so any lens board of this sise should fit.
I would carefully tape the broken lens board together and then measure it.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably not use lemon juice, too acidic. I'd clean it with a typical window cleaner that mostly soapy water with a little alcohol. The polish that is common here is a furniture wax that is emulsified so it can be put in an aerosol can. The lemon is actually lemon oil and is there more for the smell than anything functional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: