Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Speed Graphic and electronic flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbridges

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Super Speed Graphic and electronic flash Reply with quote

I have a Super Speed Graphic that I was trying to use with a Honeywell Auto-Stobonar flash unit. The guy that I bought it from sais that he used it with a Speed Graphic. Well, the first time that I tried to use it, it fired once, and that was it. I read some where that it was not good to use these old cameras with modern flashes, but I have used this camera with another Strobonar with no problems. Did I do a bad? What part on the camera may have burned out, and how do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreachiated.
Thanx
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Strobonars and the Super Speed Graphics were in production at about the same time so they should be compatible.
Are you sure that the problem is with the shutter sync contacts?
At the risk of sounding a bit pedantic, the sync circuit in the shutter is electrically very simple, just two terminals which are shorted together when the shutter trips. About all that can go wrong is a burned or broken contact in the shutter which requires opening up of the shutter to repair.
A simple test with a multimeter should show that there is a momentary (or possibly continuous until recocked) conducting condition between the two contacts on the shutter, which is normal. Also checking with a flash unit known to be good would show if the problem is in the shutter.
It is more likely that there is something wrong with the Strobonar. Testing these units by shorting the sync contacts is risky because of the high voltage trigger circuit in them.

Wishing you an easy fix to your problem.
C. Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: