Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anniversary Speed Graphic bellows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Anniversary Speed Graphic bellows Reply with quote

I bought an Anniversary Speed Graphic (serial 302107. Dating?) some time ago. Yesterday i noticed that the bellows is loose on the rear end. I can see light on the upper-left corner of the groundglass when the bellows is extended. I guess the old glue just has come loose. I guess I would have to remove the back (Graphic back) and re-glue the bellows.

How would I remove the back, and what kind of glue should I use?

Also, the Huge-Meyer rangefinder doesnt seem to work? I guess its possible to replace that?

Matis
pv17vv

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, my 296507 is late 1941 so a bit af guestimation will give you an idea. Five wood screws hold the back so it's easy to have it off. No idea of the problem of your RF.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion but it might be worth a try to extend the bellows and get a better look from inside the bellows with the back off or use an inspection mirror through the front with the lensboard off.
Regards,
Dave
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex did a couple of variations on the number of screws to hold the back. The obvious ones are the two at the top and bottom, There will also be at least one, possibly two on the left side, sometimes under the ground glass frame, and occasionally one on the right side, So if doesn't want to come off, keep checking for hidden screws, they didn't glue them in.

And I know I'm crossing threads here, but am curious if either Mathis or PV117vv's 1941 camera have raised bumps over the focus rails.

If these were civilian cameras I would suspect not, but if they came to your country when knew they were probably military and may have them.

I'd take a closer look at the rangefinder before giving up on it. When working they are better than a Kalart, but don't have the wide range of a Kalart. Hugo's were designed for a specific focal length with a little adjustment to take care of variability in manufacture. So a Hugo designed for a 127mm lens could be adjust a few degrees either way, but won't work on a 135mm lens.
Matis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I received this camera from France, and I don't know where the previous owner got it from. There doesn't seem to be any bumps on the focusing rails.
I see 5 screws on the back, two at the top and three at the bottom. I guess these are the screws I need to remove.

As for the rangefinder, the RF patch is very difficult to see, and the second image doesnt move at all while focusing. The rangefinder cam seems to be at the correct position, and is moving. Maybe there is something loose inside, but since the rangefinder patch is only visible when looking very carefully and it takes a while o find it, I guess its better to replace it.

Matis
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are always at least one screw on the left side, sometimes under the ground glass frame, and occasionally on screw on the right (film side.) All of these aren't actually covered by leather, but not as easy to see as the larger screws top and bottom.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anniversay model normally won't have a screw under the focus panel. Two top and 3 bottom, and just lift it off. With the shutter curtain open, you should be able to see what's wrong with the bellows. The Anniversary model used two styles of bellws attachment at the rear. The very early ones used glue and tiny tacks to attach it, the same as the Pre-Anniversary model. Starting sometime in 1941 or early '42, they changed to the aluminum frame with the little tabs that hold it in. From your description it sounds like you have the glue and tack variety. If so, and the bellows have not torn away or otherwise suffered damage, just glue it back onto the little recess it mounts to. On these, if you can get any of the tiny tacks out so you can reuse them, it's a big help. Good old hide glue is perfect for this repair. It's original and you don't have to use the stinky hot melt kind these days. It's available in a squeeze bottle. If your bellows has the aluminum frame and a tab or two has broken off, it's easiest to just use something like gaffer's tape to re-attach it. Good luck.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Matis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rubber glue work? I don't know if that's the real English term for it.
I havent been able to find any hide glue yet. Also, do i have to clean the old glue from the bellows?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will find ruber cement strong enough. You may want to go to the auto parts store and get a tube of weather strip adhesive. Try to get the clear kind if you can. The yellow kind just looks nasty. I use it for a lot of things.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: loose bellows Reply with quote

MATIS,
IF YOU SPREAD A THIN COAT OF RUBBER CEMENT ON BOTH SURFACES AND LET IT DRY TO A DULL GLOSS BEFORE THE TWO ARE PUT TOGETHER....YOU NOW HAVE A VERY STRONG CONTACT CEMENT, IT CAN BE TAKEN APART AGAIN, BUT YOU MAY CAUSE DAMAGE WHEN YOU DO SO! I HAVE USED THIS METHOD TO ATTACH SHUTTER MATERIAL TO THE ROLLERS, AND HAVE MADE BELLOWS AND HOODS THIS WAY FOR MANY YEARS!
HAVE A NICE DAY.......BERT
Matis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Rubber cement is cheap, so ill buy a tube and test its strenght on something first. I will also keep an eye out for hide glue.

Matis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: