Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D-76 stock or 1:1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
troublemaker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
After running a couple more film tests I am pretty much convinced that D-76 1:1 is the better way to go, and haven't been able to uphold manufacturers' claims that D-76, when used stock produces less grain, and with films like HP-5 and Delta 3200 for example, find the opposite to be true. Less grain with a 1:1 ratio and longer tank times. It was really obvious with the Delta where I shot for recomended best results at ISO 800 and developed with stock solution. Exposing for 1600 and using my own time mutiplier correcting for a 1:1 solution produced a much better image. Same for the HP5 I have been shooting, and while I have not tested my TMAX 400 in stock, I get very nice results using 1:1 and adjusting for contrast at 70 degrees (as well with the other films I have been fooling around with like FP-4, TriX and Acros etc...).

I know, if it works go with it, but I am curious if anyone else has had either similar results, or better results using the stock formula.

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2006-12-11 17:16 ]
EASmithV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you dilute the developer and extend the time, the better grain you will get. Stock is nice to small-job stuff because you can put it in 1 liter bottles and it will last for like 4-5 months seldom used in the fridge. 1:1 will give you much better grain, in fact I have diluted D76 down so much that the grain is almost nonexistant, however the dev time is like an hour or two so it is impractical to do, especially with large format. But to answer your question, 1:1 will give you better grain.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, when I used Microdol I always diluted it 1:1, following Kodak instructions for reduced grain. It should say something about this on the developer packet.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason you precieve finer grain at 1:1 is that the edge if the grain is not as defined when developed at 1:1 and is very defined when developed in stock. This is what I remember from what I've read either in a Kodak publication or in the Film Developers Cookbook.
At any rate I like Xtol 1:1 and you should give it a try if you haven't tested it yet. 1:2 and 1:3 are nice too but require longer times.
White Orchid is a 4x5 image shot on a Super Speed with a 165mm Ilex Paragon, Ilford HP5+, and processed with contineous agaitation for 10 minutes in Xtol 1:1 and is a 96KB downsize from a 2400 dpi scan on a Microtek 8700 using Silverfast AI software. Dust and lint removed and curves adjusted in Photoshop, equivelent of dodge and burn in darkroom printing.
camz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Developer Dilution Dilemma Reply with quote

Wonderful image, Charles! Love the texture. I wish more members would post Graflex-shot photos. I think it really gives some substance behind all the technical and historical details discussed on this site. Would it be appropriate to have a different photo on the home page each week, together with all the details, ala Photography Annual?

Are you a fan of the Ilex Paragon glass? You didn't mention your aperture or shutter speed for the orchid shot. I've used red-dot, series S Paragons in the studio for years. One of my favorites.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/25 f22~22.6
minox59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have ever used is D-76 1:1. Why fool with sucess
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all I use, too. If you get real gentle with your agitation, D-76 1:1 can give grain so fine it's almost impossible to see it using the grain focuser. There's a trade off between fine grain and aparent sharpness, however. Stock D-76 gives better accutance, but it's because the grain clumps are larger and have sharper edges. I use 1:1 because I run small lots and like the one shot aspect.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: