Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 FILM DEVELOPING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgdgent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: 2x3 FILM DEVELOPING Reply with quote

I recently got a 23 Grafmatic film holder for my Silvestri SLV.
Cutting sheet film isn't that a problem, I have luxury of IR light in de darkroom.
But finding the right holders, reels or frames, seems rather impossible.
Anny suggestions?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'r Grafmatic should have what are called septa (septums in English) that hold the film. Are they there?
pgdgent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Y'r Grafmatic should have what are called septa (septums in English) that hold the film. Are they there?

Yes all the 6 septums are there.
But what I am looking for is a developing tank where these small 2"x3" sheets will fit so to safely develop them.
These sheets are smaller than a 120 roll film and that's why they don't fit in a 120 developing spool (of any brand nor type).
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...which is precisely why I used 120 roll film exclusively! Early on, I tried tray development of 2x3 cut film and said "No, thanks" after the first attempt---too much trouble handling those finicky little pieces of film.

I fail to see the advantage of 2x3 cut film over 120 roll film. Obviously, with roll film, you can't manipulate individual images for longer or shorter development times, but aside from that slight advantage (?) you just can't beat the convenience of roll film.

Even though I own a developing tank, I don't use it. I shoot Ilford XP2 Super chromogenic black and white film and take it to the local photo store for them to develop in color chemistry along with the few rolls of 35mm they get anymore.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion. YRMV!
William Hallett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CombiPlan 4x5 developing tank will take 2x3 cut film - its negative holding frame has adjustable positions. It's a very nice little tank to use. The Doran tank also has adjustable side walls, but it's rather more difficult to use.

That said, Henry's advice is good. I can't see any advantage of cut film over rolls whatsoever. However, if you want to try something different, you can try shooting paper negatives in you Grafmatic. I've never done it, but a friend recently experimented with it in 2x3 and found it quite intriguing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: