Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie .. help opening camera? hidden button?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciela

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: newbie .. help opening camera? hidden button? Reply with quote

hi. i am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to large format. please excuse my ignorance!

i got my very first large format camera today, graflex speed graphic. i have heard there is a 'hidden' button to make the front open. can someone please walk me through this process. i can't find the 'button'. how *exactly* do i do this? i feel like i am doing something wrong (which wouldn't surprise me)

thank you in advance
~C
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
Have a look for a raised 'bubble' on top of the camera at the center front (on later models near the top mount of the side strap), push down on the 'bubble' and pull forwards on the knurled focusing knob on the front door. Pull the front down until it locks. You can then slide the front standard out.
Cheers, Bruce
ciela

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a very small bubble but i push and pull at the same time and nothing happens.

hoping the picture works.

i restore old cameras but so far i have only done small and medium format. this is my first foray into large format and i feel like a child.
so... i pushed and pulled... now what?? is it broken? am i broken? still not sure if i am doing the right things...
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yours is on the side. It sometimes helps to push the bed in slightly.

Les
ciela

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, you were right, is on the side. thanks much to all help. now i need advice on how to load film
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sometimes a very gentle wiggling and poking of a blunt knife at the top center of the door (while holding down the raised button) will free the catch but I doubt that's in the manual!
Someone else might have a better and more technical answer that that one!!
Cheers, Bruce
bruiser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Les helped you out (I missed his post) as he always does!
Have fun with the camera
Bruce
ciela

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both much. but i wasn't kidding about needing advice about loading film. the guy i bought it from said it came w six film backs but one is actually a pack adapter.
i guess i should start a new topic for my film crisis
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Speed Graphic film loading Reply with quote

Welcome.

You wanted some help with loading you camera. It looked like your camera is a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and that it has a Graphic Back (sometimes called a Spring Back). Also you wrote that you had some "film backs" that came with your camera. Graflex produced several kinds of film holders for their Graphic cameras. If one of yours is labeled "Graflex Film Pack Adapter", it is only good for a collectors' item because pack film has been unavailable for years.
You might get a better response on this question if you could provide some details about your equipment

1. Pacemaker Speed graphic?
2. Graphic back or Graflok back?
3. What type of film holder? (sheet film holder, Grafmatic, Rollfilm holder)
4. What type of film you would like to use? (sheet film, 120 rollfilm)

Regards
Dave
ciela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are very good questions... ones i have been trying to find the answers to. i know virtually *nothing* about large format. i bought this camera from that auction site. i've been trying to figure out A) how to open it (SUCCESS!!) B) what model it is (don't really have an idea how to do this) and C) how to use the dam thing.

i don't know what kind of back it is, or even exactly what model it is. here is another pic::

as far as film backs go, i do have one of those historical ones i also have five sheet film holders. one of you was so extremely nice to send me an email about how to load the film, so now i have one more question. how do i put the damn things in the camera??

and how do i tell exactly what i have here?

i have been reading all over the internet but i've found (in my other endeavors) that personal experience is best. sorry if i am being a pain.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To load a film holder into the camera: grab one or both of the lugs that stick out on the right side of the camera (looking from the rear) pull them towards you so a gap opens up between the spring back and the camera body, then slide the film holder into the gap and push it all the way in. You should feel it 'fit' into place. Make sure the flat end of the film holder goes in first, not the end with the dark slide handles!
Cheers, Bruce
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~C;

Your camera was probably built between 1947 & 1950 as the Graflok back became standard in 1950 or '51. If you can give us the Serial numbers of the camera and the lens someone of us will pin the dates down more closely and can probably give you more help on exactly how your individual camera works.
Mopar Guy has probably correctly identified your camera as a Pacemaker Speed Graphic with a Graphic (spring) Back.

C. Henry
ciela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all so much. everyone has been so helpful.

the camera has a kodak aspheric anastigmat lens (126mm) the serial number is not on the inside lens rim (where i am used to them being) so i don't know where to find that.

the cameras serial number is 751312.

thanks!
~C
ciela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, this camera was sold to me as a "4x5" but the film is actually 3.5x4.5. am i going to be able to get film for this beast? or should i just pack in this project?

thanks
~C
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~C;

Referring to Shutterfinger's "Not the Serial Number Book List, But..." it appears that you have a vintage 1949 3-1/4" x 4-1/4" Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The 126mm lens is in keeping with this as a 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" would probably have 101mm or 105mm lens and a 4" x 5" would probably have a 135mm or longer lens as original equipment standard lens.
Hope that helps.

C. Henry

About the film availability (your post appeared as I sent this before editing) someone else will have to answer that as I have only a 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" Speed Graphic. I do know that the 3-1/4" x 4-1/4" format was used by the newspaper industry as it made a two column wide contact print but did not take hold with other photographers.

C. Henry

Last edited by C. Henry on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: