Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens Question - grounded terminals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Lens Question - grounded terminals? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a new member that just bought a Graflex Crown camera this week.

It came with a 135mm & a 90mm lens. I have a question about the 90mm lens. It's a 90mm wide angle Optar f/6.8 lens mounted in a #1 Graphex full sync shutter. It is in it's origional (I think) Graflex box which says catalog 221.

My question is about the 2 flash terminals on the shutter. There are 2 bent rods that come through the lens board & rest on the terminals. The rods are threaded & have springs & nuts securing them to the board. There is a plastic cap that covers the terminals. Why are the terminals grounded like this? The lens & board seem to be factory origional.

Any help will be appreciated.

I can send pictures. I don't know how to post pictures here.

Thanks, Jim .
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't grounded. (well until you put it on a Pacemaker Crown or speed) Those bent wires go back to terminals on the back of the lensboard. The Super Graphic had internal wiring that allowed the flash sync to be run to a side terminal on the body of the camera.

To use this with a Pacemaker Crown or speed, loosen the nuts and swing the bent wires out so the don't make contact and use a standard bi-post sync cord on the shutter.
jbo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les,

That ends my confusion. I notice the lens also came with a cam for use with another model.

I'll just remove the rods, springs & nuts & of course save them for future use. I want to use this wide-angle lens in my Calumet view camera's recessed lens board. Installing it in the Calumet lens board will be easy & the lens is readily switched back for use with the Graflex.

I was lucky that my Calumet came with a special lens board that the Graflex lens boards clip to so I can readily use other Graflex lenses on the Calumet.

>>>> Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: