Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISP DUMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can one pevent the isp from disconnecting from inactivity while typing in this fourm. This happens frequently when posting. I'm using monolopy soft Me. on a compaq. ATT is the isp. Havent' gotten around to learning Linux. I haven't had any luck typing off line then pasting either.
Charles

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-04 21:16, 45PSS wrote:
How can one pevent the isp from disconnecting from inactivity while typing in this fourm. This happens frequently when posting. I'm using monolopy soft Me. on a compaq. ATT is the isp. Havent' gotten around to learning Linux. I haven't had any luck typing off line then pasting either.
Charles

Charles, I can't give you a good answer, even though I work for (yes) ATT but nowhere near WorldNet. Suggest that you complain to us. Not to me 'cause I don't know where to go, but to WorldNet's customer service.

Cheers and regrets,

Dan

hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that "Keep it Alive" or a similar program that randomly pings your isp will help prevent being droped due to inactivity.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a better memory. I had the same trouble until I went into windows 98 and changed the default from 20 minutes to 59 or 60 minutes before you're dropped from inactivity. I think I went into control panel and right clicked the internet icon and selected properties. That is if you use windows. Someone on this site should know?

Okay, go to control panel, open Internet Options, get to modem settings, and uncheck the box that says something like this: Disconnect after so many minutes of inactivity. There are several extra steps in between. I just went hunting to find it!

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-03-05 16:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-03-05 20:29 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can configure the modem from several points including ATT's connection manager. The time out (disconnect after inactivity) was/is unchecked; when checked defaults to 30 minutes but won't go above 42 minutes. If set to 60 and box closed then reopen configuration is now shows 42. An app called 0-disconnect I stumbled across on CNET didn't help either. Will try some others.
Charles

hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Charles, here is another problem I had with my computer. I used to have save the monitor fetish and always kept a short fuse on put it to sleep after a short period of inactivity. That gave me no end of problems when downloading files, etc.. Now be damn the monitor if it fries it fries, no more screen savers! At least it's worth a try.
Harry
daleraby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another simple trick: set an email client to check your email every five minutes and run it while you are typing.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use screen savers. http://www.webshots.com/ free download/space pic of _____ is background, http://hubble.stsci.edu/ mars runs a close second.
I do not know how to configure or set up an email client check.

hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another work-around. http://www.angelfire.com has free web sites. Open your own web site, put your comments, graphics, etc. on your own web site. Then just reference your own URL at Graflex.org help board. I have had a lot of fun and I've also learned a lot by opening mine! I save everything with the extension (.jpg).

I used to Use a Compaq computer and it had it's own sleep mode until finally a message came on the screen that allowed me to turn it off. Of course, I chose to turn it off and no further problems!
CharlesC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to http://www.microsoft.com and lookup KnowledgeBase article Q250649, it describes how to set the modem inactivity timeout in the registry(key is InactivityTimeout). It applies to Win '98 and ME. This, I presume would allow more than the 42 minutes.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure the disconnect is comming from the isp as it has happened when typing lenghty emails.
I may have to continue the post/edit routine for a while and will checkout the tips. If I find a cure I'll let everyone know.
Thanks,
Charles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: