Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Darkslide compatibility

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Darkslide compatibility Reply with quote

Seen on Graflex.org :

Quote:
The dark slide for the 2"x3" [packfilm] holder is the same as the dark slide for the 2"x3" roll film holders, so they can be good replacement sources.

Is it the same as the one for the 4"x5" roll film holders too ?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Grafic 22 & Graphic 23 Roll Film Holder.
The 22's darkslide has a handle simular to regular film holders and black/aluminum metal edge. It is 2.652 inches wide by 5.735 inches long.
The 23's darkslide has a metal end , no handle, and is aluminum on both sides. It is 2.635 inches wide and 5.6785 inches long.
The 22's darkslide has a small gap between the metal edge and the frame of the holder and has no side play.
The 23's darkslide metal edge fits snug against the holder edge and has just detectable side play.

I think it is a safe assumption that a 2x3 darkslide will be too short for a 4x5 roll film holder and a 4x5 darkslide will be too wide but could be cut down.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but I think that the question from pv17vv could be rephrased as "Will the dark slide from a 4x5 pack film holder serve as a replacement for the dark slide in a 4x5 roll film holder in the same way as those from 2x3 pack film holders can be used in 2x3 roll film holders?"
pv17vv Please correct me if I am wrong.

C. Henry
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry, you are right !
I know now from other sources there is no compatibility.
So I'll need to find a replacement elsewhere or cut a slide to fit using the worn slide as a template.
Thanks to both of you.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In metric terms the 22's darkslide is 66.58mm wide by 145.89mm long. The film gate opening in the roll film holder is 59.47mm wide. The darkslide is 7.11mm wider than the opening or 3.555mm either side of the film gate.
A Lisco Regal 4x5 film holder darkslide is 106.56mm wide and 164.96mm long. The film gate is 96.76mm wide. The darkslide here is 9.8mm wider than the film opening or 4.9mm either side of the film gate.

The reason a 2x3 FPA darkslide is a direct replacement for the 2x3 camera's roll film holder is they are for the same film width. A roll film holder for 2x3 cameras could be made to fit a larger format by cutting a mount board the correct size for the camera back opening of the larger format and cutting a hole in the center that the 2x3 cameras roll film holder will just fit into securing it by pressure fit or bonding and lengthing the darkslide as needed to cover the film opening from the edge of the mount frame. This is what Graflex did but they molded the shell to the fill plate.

PV, check your local hobby, hardware, or auto parts store for a low cost digital caliper. It will make your camera modifications go easier. They can be had here in the states for around $20 US.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the calipers and gauges my Grandfather left me, metric and imperial. He was an airplane engine rebuilder, so measuring tools were everywhere near his workbench.

Thanks for the exact sizes, it will help when I'll cut the slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: