Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new owner & new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numnutz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: new owner & new member Reply with quote

Just to say hello to everyone... "Hello"

I have just purchased my first Pacemaker Speed Graphic from a certain auction website.
Just a couple of small questions before I test it out with film,

1) The (FP shutter) selector slide is very difficult to move, I have to press the slide in slightly before it will move by almost forcing it Is this normal or does it need fixing. The focal plane shutter seems to work OK although I haven't tested the speeds.

2) The camera is in good condition but unfortunately it stinks - it has probably been store in a musty cupboard. When you enter the room you can smell it from 10 feet away! Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get rid of this smell?

From looking at this Forum I have deduced that the camera was made in 1950 / 1951

Pacemaker Speed Graphic - side mounted Kalart rangefinder
Body number is : 857893
Lens is F4.7 127mm Ektar lens number is : RC 1410

Also there are three small holes in the top of the camera in a triangular configuration, has anyone any idea what these were for? They look as though they may have been made by an amateur as they are not very square to the front of the body casing.

Thanks in advance

nn
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! you're in for a fun ride.

Quote:
1) The (FP shutter) selector slide is very difficult to move, I have to press the slide in slightly before it will move by almost forcing it Is this normal or does it need fixing. The focal plane shutter seems to work OK although I haven't tested the speeds.

The shutter selector slide switch is spring loaded and must be pressed in to move it from front to rear or the inverse but should move easily from rear to trip. If it is sticky then a drop or two (about the size of a straight pin point) of light weight machine oil applied under the edge of the slide close to the center of the slide and several movements should correct it. Front: body side release operates the lens shutter via a cable and paddle, known to be sluglish at best.
Rear: side body release operates the Focal Plane Shutter.
Trip: operates (trips) the FPS fron the slide switch.

Quote:
2) The camera is in good condition but unfortunately it stinks - it has probably been store in a musty cupboard. When you enter the room you can smell it from 10 feet away! Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get rid of this smell?

Get a bottle of Isopropyl Alochol, a can of Pledge Natural Beauty (formerly lemon pledge), and some cotton cloths. Wash the body and bellows (remove the focus panel and support from the inside) with the alochol thouroghly. Coat the body and bellows with the lemon pledge and allow it to sit for an hour or longer then rub in the pledge with a clean lint free cloth. Allow the camera to sit open with bellows fully extended for a few days to a week to air out.

Quote:
Also there are three small holes in the top of the camera in a triangular configuration, has anyone any idea what these were for? They look as though they may have been made by an amateur as they are not very square to the front of the body casing.

Well, if they are on the right edge then an optical viewfinder was mounted there at one time. Contact me via the private message feature if interested in obtaining one.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome NN !

Quote:
Trip: operates (trips) the FPS fron the slide switch.

And does not trigger the flash sync doing this. Was useful when you needed to select another speed while a bulb was in the reflector ready to be fired.
numnutz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your assistance - camera smells better (and so do I ! )

nn
Navy Moose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: I'm a owner and member as well Reply with quote

I got a Pacemaker Crown Graphic from that same online auction website for a very good price.

I'm relatively new to large format, I have a Toyo 45C monorail view camera. After hiking with the camera I decided I needed something lighter and easier to setup. A friend of mine has both Crowns and Speeds, he showed me his cameras and the Crown is better suited to landscapes.

The camera arrives on Tuesday and I'm excited about owning a classic camera like a Crown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: