Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex at Photorama Shows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frohnec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gone to the Photorama Shows in Chicago, New York and DC and if so are there Graflex dealers?
There is one in DC (a 2 hour ride)and I was considering going.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-01-13 17:30, frohnec wrote:
Has anyone gone to the Photorama Shows in Chicago, New York and DC and if so are there Graflex dealers?
There is one in DC (a 2 hour ride)and I was considering going.
There's no such thing as a Graflex dealer. Photorama runs what are effectively flea markets. Some of the dealers who turn up at them sometimes bring some Graflex gear. The only way to find out what's at one is to go. You can't predict what will or won't be at one.

That said, I bought my Century at a Photorama show in Indianapolis -- I was visiting a friend there -- and have seen, but not at every show, various Graflex-made cameras at the Photorama show in Philadelphia. Philadelphia is very close to where I live.

I realize that "go to the show to find out what's there" isn't what you want to be told, especially when going entails a long drive. But that's reality.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, do you remember that there used to be a guy at the Trevose (Phila.) show who seemed to have mostly Graflex stuff? He used to set up in the entry hall on the left about three or four tables down from the admissions table. I haven't seen his table at the recent shows---but then there was a time, and not so long ago either, when there were so many dealer tables they had an overflow room to handle the traffic! I guess we aren't going to see that again.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2006-01-14 08:49 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-01-14 08:47, Henry wrote:
Dan, do you remember that there used to be a guy at the Trevose (Phila.) show who seemed to have mostly Graflex stuff? He used to set up in the entry hall on the left about three or four tables down from the admissions table. I haven't seen his table at the recent shows---but then there was a time, and not so long ago either, when there were so many dealer tables they had an overflow room to handle the traffic! I guess we aren't going to see that again.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2006-01-14 08:49 ]
Henry, to tell the truth, not really. But I remember vividly how crowded the shows used to be and how many Graphics and Graflexes were offered. Also how light, relative to their size, Graflexes are; I used to forget that they're hollow, am glad I had the opportunity to heft some.

Camera shows are dying fast. Second Sunday in Wayne is a shadow of its old self, every month fewer vendors, fewer prospective buyers. The Photorama shows have the same problem. Anyway, I've been trekking to the ones I can get to, the better to see what's there before they all dry up and go away. But DC is too far for me.

Big surprise for me about the Wayne show is that Arnie Duren is still coming and keeps on bringing little nothings that I can justify buying. Last weekend I bought a pre-WWI Tessar for my neighbor the Zeiss collector and a 150/9 Apo Ronar for myself.

Slow death by Internet, eBay, and digital, I fear. But then, all of the hobbies of my youth are in decline.

Cheers,

Dan
frohnec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
As Dan mentioned it is EBAY that has taken over the used "stuff" market.The only thing with EBAY is you can't put your hands on the object you are considering.
I guess I will wake up on SUnday and make my decision to drive 2 hours to DC.
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in DC; when and where is this show?
frohnec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the website http://www.photorama.com.
The locations of all the shows are there just page down to you find DC.
Maybe you can go to the next one and found out what kind of stuff they have an get back to me.
I am in Richmond and 120 mi is a bit far to drive to see if they have Graflex stuff.
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frohnec: The show ended six hours before your last post. The next show is 26 March; I'll try to go to that one.
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the 26 March show and it was well worth it. Almost everything was old stuff, and while it was doubtless there I did not note anything more modern than a Nikon F3. The one small display of memory cards for digicams was carefully avoided by everyone. Some LF gear, a bit of Graflex, a good selection of junk bins. It is not a big show, maybe 40 tables or so. Everyone I bought things from were flexible on prices.

I got a nice gray vulcanoid case (contents were a couple of really clean Heiland flash units with reflectors and a nice Rollei TLR strap) for forty bucks.

And a Synchronizer 3 cell flash unit, with 7" reflector, for about eighty five bucks. It was covered with dirt and gaffers tape, but it cleaned up nicely.

I also got a No. 0 Graphic in very nice shape. The shutter is even good.

Teasers for your consideration:

> a wartime Annie 45, with a postwar coated lens, looked good although I did not handle it. A hundred bucks.
> a GV II, dirty, looked basically sound. a hundred seventy bucks.
> a Nikor stainless tank for 4X5, complete except for the small cap. I had to leave that behind as the money was shot, but I think it was too steep anyway at an asking price of seventy five. I would have gone for sixty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

> a Nikor stainless tank for 4X5, complete except for the small cap. I had to leave that behind as the money was shot, but I think it was too steep anyway at an asking price of seventy five. I would have gone for sixty.

That's about what I paid for mine two years ago, so it seems to be the going rate. And it's money well spent to boot!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two hour drive to the camera show? I should be so lucky! Most everything is a two hour drive, or more, from here. Groceries are only one hour, though. Each way.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you're moving. Here in Megalopolis it can take two hours to go 50 miles (or less; sometimes much less). That's if you're in a car. Otherwise it could be shorter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me 20 minutes to drive the two miles from the interstate to Yocco's the last time I went through Allentown
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOCCO'S!? (For those who don't know, "Yocco" is the closest the PA Germans could come to pronouncing "Iacocca," as in Lee, who is an Allentown native and Lehigh U. graduate. A branch of the family runs a locally-famous chain of hot dog shops. "Goin' to Yocco's" is an old tradition around here.)

BTW, the doggies they serve come from Hatfield's. I saw the truck once at the shop.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2006-03-28 08:34 ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget the piorgies on the side....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: