Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you use standard 4x5 holders in a graphic back?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarinWC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new owener of a nice 4x5 Graflex Super D.
This one has the graphic back. it is just slightly wider than standard 4x5 holders. I could make an adapter so they can fit pretty easily. However, the real question is whether or not the focus plane will be on the same level.
Dowes anyone know if the film plane of standard holders is the same as the graphic holders?

Thanks!
Darin Cozine

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got your terms mixed up. A quick review{list}
[*]Graphic Back: Spring back, ground glass assembly holds the film holder against the camera. Uses standard film holders aka Graphic Film holders
[*]Graflok back, improved version of the Graphic back. Ground Glass assembly holds film against camera, takes standard film holders, can be removed for roll film backs which are held on by two slide locks.
[*]GraFlex back. Standard issue on all Graflexes and all but very late and modifed Super D cameras. At least on a Graflex camera does not use a ground glass. Film holders must be locked in with slide locks. Uses Graflex film holders which are slightly wider than standard Graphic film holders. Film plane is in a different position than a Graphic film holder and have a reverse light trap (the holder has a groove rather than a ridge)
[/list]

I suspect you have a Graflex back. While the ground glass below the chimney can be modified to it will focus on Graphic film holders, it's easier to look for Graflex film holders and or Bag Mags aka film magazines. On rare occasion you can find a Grafmatic for a Graflex back but they are scarce.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1910 RB Auto. When I first recieved it I, like you, had no Graflex film holders. I cut two pieces of black acrylic 1/4 inch thick and attached the bars from the Graflex back to them. I then removed the wooden frame pieces and installed the wider plastic ones on the back frame. This requires removing the back from the camera. The mahogany is thin and dry even on a Super D and the screw holes strip easily. I shot a few sheets in this configuration. The film to mount edge distance is the same on both the Graphic and Graflex film holders of any make. A while later I came across some Graflex film holders and some bag mags so I changed the back back to the original Graflex configuration. Any pieces you make must be the same thickness and length of the origionals and approximately 1/8 inch wider.

I agree with Les, just get a bag mag or two off ebay. Gragflex film holders come up on occasion. The bag mag should have 12 specturms to be complete and operate correctly. They are easy to use and are much faster than switching film holders.

If I were going to modify a Super D then I would change it to a Graflok.

Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: