Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Father pasted away and left me a camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwn306

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He told me many years ago that he had a Speed Graphic camera in a case and assorted goodies. Does 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 or 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 sound correct?

If I take a picture of it could someone tell me what I have and how much is it worth?
Gandolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera could be a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. or a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 If it's from the 40s it will be black and chrome.

If the area around the lens, lensboard is metal, then its from the late 40 t hrough the 60s (called a Pacemaker series camera)

the 3x4 is worth $100 at best, since film isn't readily available except on special order or from one company that cuts the film down. The 2x3 camera may be worth $50 to $250 depending on the lens, the age of the camera, condition and what accessories are with it. The most I've seen one of these go for was $400 and I think it was over valued. Take a look around the website particularly on the models of grpahics page. It's very helpful.
wolvertone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or does it seem sad that everyone wants to sell their dad's stuff when they die?

The camera is worth more as a display. Maybe you can get some older photos of your family made with the camera and out them next to it.

Don't flame, it's my opinion and nothing more. I wish my dad loved me enough to leave me anyhing important to him.

hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera is 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 you can find roll backs that will alow you to use 120 roll film in it. On the other hand if its 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 you can only get film through Film for Clasics and all that is availible is B&W,or you may find a roll film back for the camera on E-Bay or some other site. Camera swap meets are another source for hard to find accesories.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-10 08:16, wolvertone wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem sad that everyone wants to sell their dad's stuff when they die?

The camera is worth more as a display. Maybe you can get some older photos of your family made with the camera and out them next to it.

Don't flame, it's my opinion and nothing more. I wish my dad loved me enough to leave me anyhing important to him.

Not to flame you or anything, but there can be good reasons to sell off everything of value. For example, when my mother-in-law died we found my late father-in-law's Retina IIIC. Pristine, just needed a CLA. I coveted it, even though Retina IIIs are a little on the heavy side. BUT, the estate had bills to pay and I wasn't up to paying a fair market price for the camera. So I had it CLA'd and sold it on eBay to help pay the bills. Fair is fair.

To get a little back on topic, my father-in-law used to have a Graphic. It must have been sold or traded before he died, we never found it.

Cheers, and sympathy too,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: