Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex in the movies!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer I saw this evening of Cinderella Man certainly had a Pacemaker right in your face, but if I am not mistaken, it was a bit too new..., but lotsa bulbs poppin in that one, kinda EXAGERATED as ussual.

Stephen
Press25

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 20:44, tsgrimm wrote:
Tommy Lee Jones photographing Sissy Spacek in "Coal Miner's Daughter" with a Super Graphic.

Yes, but did you notice he forgot to pull the darkslide when he was holding the pot cover as a reflector?
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-16 14:44, Press25 wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-23 20:44, tsgrimm wrote:
Tommy Lee Jones photographing Sissy Spacek in "Coal Miner's Daughter" with a Super Graphic.

Yes, but did you notice he forgot to pull the darkslide when he was holding the pot cover as a reflector?

The next time the movie is on the tube I'll pay more attention.
MikeS

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he forgot to pull the darkslide, that doesn't mean it's Hollywood fakery, just that he learned how to use the camera from somebody like me!

-Mike

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of gallery quality images on darkslides.

SoCal Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-17 06:53, jpmose wrote:
In the movie "Road to Perdition" a Pre Anniversary Speed Graphic was used by one of the stars (Jude Law). This is a great movie, set in 1931. The shots of the camera are close up! So....go enjoy this great movie and see a Speed Graphic at the same time! Enjoy.

J P. Mose

One other reason "Road to Perdition" is noteworthy is how the Speed Graphic goes beyond its usual role of being a point 'n shoot press camera. Jude Law is shown setting up a tripod, looking through the ground glass, and actually behaving like a photographer for a brief moment .

[ This Message was edited by: SoCal Dave on 2005-09-03 22:12 ]
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok fine and dandy, but can you imagine the surprise when I was mindlessly watching the Simpsons cartoon Haloween special and one of the short stories had press cameras snapping away...just like in the movies?

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the new 'King Kong yesterday and all the press guys had pre-Annys (although some of them had Graflex flashguns). Nice to see Jackson doing his homework.
Jack5541

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-14 22:07, troublemaker wrote:
The trailer I saw this evening of Cinderella Man certainly had a Pacemaker right in your face, but if I am not mistaken, it was a bit too new..., but lotsa bulbs poppin in that one, kinda EXAGERATED as ussual.

Stephen

Just saw (finally!!!) "Cinderella Man" on DVD...definitely an abundance of Graphics and flashbulbs blazing away, at ringside and in the aisles! Only problem was that almost every camera I could see (without taking the time to pause and zoom) was a Pacemaker with a Graflite attached; major bloopers for a movie set in the early 1930's.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics make frequent appearances in _Capote_. They do remember to change the flashbulb after the shot, though I didn't notice any filmholders being flipped or changed.

And on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera, at the end of Tobias Picker's new work, _An American Tragedy_, based on the novel by Theodore Dreiser and on the real events that inspired the novel, a photographer comes on stage with what looks to be a wooden 8x10" field camera and a flash pan with powder (the action of the play takes place around 1905), and gets a shot of the main character in the courtroom after he is sentenced to death for murder. I guess in the opera everything has to be a little bit larger than life.
journ2arch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like some of you, I was mostly pleased by the cameras used in "King Kong."

In "Cinderella Man," many of the cameras were post-1947 Pacemakers, but at least in one scene that takes place in 1928, they ARE using flash powder. I did appreciate that.

My nomination for the Speed Graphic Ananchronism Hall of Shame (as well as being a terrible movie despite having Angelica Huston and Hillary Swank), is a made-for-HBO film about the women's sufferage movement called "Iron-Jawed Angels." (Hey, my wife had it on!)

Though the story takes place during World War I, some of the press photographers hounding our suffragette heroines are using Pacemakers! Tsk. Tsk.
JMP

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly new to the site and found this thread whilst browsing around.

Recently watched "The Notorious Bettie Page" and lots of Speed Graphics in there. Also (off topic) a few Stereo Realist 35mm 3D cameras used in a scene where she is at a camera club and one guy is holding it in portrait mode (which wouldn't work as to get stereo effect the pics have to be side by side, like your eyes). If course, this might be deliberate to illustrate that guys might joinn a camera club knowing next to nothing about photography.

Also, the TV series Homicide: Life On The Streets has a character in it who is a photographer working with the police department. He is a total Weegee nut (and namechecks him several times) and, even though the series is set in the "present day" (ran from 1993 to 1999) he dresses in 1940's gear and, of course uses a Speed Graphic. He even lives in a storeroom at police HQ for a while!!! Great series, even without the Weegee references.
essessem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, don't get me started about "The Notorious Bettie Page." If it weren't for the lovely Gretchen Mol and overall good-naturedness of Mary Herron's direction, the inaccurately-portrayed camera wielding would have completely ruined the film for me. (By the way, I detest poorly-typeset film credits as well--not an issue here.) So I doubt if the director was trying to portray amateur nudie photographers as not really knowing their camera. You rarely, if ever, see anyone winding a film knob, as if they all had high-speed motor drives. I recollect that the studio scenes showed Paula Klaw (Lili Taylor) just shooting away with a Crown, film holders be damned. When will Hollywood finally become sensitive to antique camera geeks?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0404802/Ss/0404802/2287.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0404802
rmbroome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Graflex in movies Reply with quote

Do not forget the newest HollyWood Land and The Black Dahlia. A lot of them.
ASpeedGraphic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Why, however, do the cameras always make so much noise in the movies? These things are practically silent in reality, but they always have the sound effects from flash powder.

Keith

Last edited by ASpeedGraphic on Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: