Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P6 vs. P7 rangefinder cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnhhenderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two rangefinder cams, a P6 and a P7, both marked 135mm. I see on this web site that the P7 is apparently actually 136.4mm.

So I guess my question is: Which is the correct one to use with mu "135mm" Schneider Xenar?

The lens, and each cam, are each from different cameras, so I don't know what was originally with the lens.
Graflite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wish to add to your confusion, but I have a Crown Graphic Special with the Schneider Xenar 135mm f/4.7 lens and the cam that came with the camera is marked "135mm P5".

Now according to the "cam chart" the P5 should be marked as 133.5mm, the P6 as 135mm and the P7 as 136.4mm as you mentioned.

So I thought perhaps the 5 was really a 6 so I checked the cam under a magnifier lamp and turned it every which way to look at it, and the 5 is still a 5, it does not haved the sloping top part of a 6 but is squared off like a 5 would be.

So in answer to your question, I'm afraid I haven't really been much help, perhaps other readers of this forum might have some insight into this question of yours and this mystery of mine, does anyone else have a P5 cam marked as 135mm?

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add some more confusion
Cam #5=133.53 cam #6=135.00 cam #7=136.42
all 3 were marked on chart as 135mm
Each lens varies a bit--hence 135mm is not exactly 135mm--the cams were made close as possible--but nothing is 100%--the ground glass focus depends on your eyesight---everyone out there have 20/20 vision--
hmmmm???????
Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2002-01-07 14:39 ]
johnhhenderson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't surprise me that lenses with focal lengths a little different from 135mm were marked as 135mm, and that the cams were also marked 135mm to match the lens designation even if they're a little off.

It appears that neither the P6 nor the P7 are the correct cam for my lens, even though the P6 is a little closer.

I want to use my Crown as a press camera - handheld with the viewfinder and rangefinder. I have a Toyo for looking at ground glass on a tripod.
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like depth of field would take care of small problems with rangefinders. Example: 135MM, 4x5 format F-11 focus distance 20 feet, everything will be in focus from 12.11 to 43.4 feet. It even gets better with higher F stops. Russ
daleraby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would seem to have the wrong cam for my lens. Is there a source for new ones? How 'bout a mechanical drawing of them so they could be made by hand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: