Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What a Camera!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just attended a fashion show in London (skylight,shopping mall)where I was the centre of attention.Why,I had a 3x4 SPEED GRAPHIC in gleaming condition.

The young photographers (and even the older generation)and fashion editors had never seen one before..and could they take my picture holding it (with a digital camera of course).

So,the power of the Graphic remains.I told one guy this camera will outlive all those Press packs Digital Nikons & Canons,all lined up photographing the show.

They could not believe there eyes.This camera is still KING for quality,looks,and ruggedness.

...and where could they buy one.In you're dreams.

Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on you, you know you just love to tease them, don't you? But then so do I (he-he-he), by showing up at a recent antique car show-off, where it seemed more people were staring at my 4 x 5 Speed Graphic than were those looking at the cars.

And more than several people asked if I was the "Official" photographer for the antique car show, perhaps because I was taking pictures of the cars with an "antique" camera or perhaps because I was an "antique" with a camera, hmmm I wonder now?

Graflite
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel proud,Graflite,to carry on the tradition of this famous camera,by still using it at the occasional function.
Usually,I would use the 2x3,being lighter to handle.But I just needed that extra length on the lens,rather than the 101mm.

It worked in more ways than one.

We must keep a pen handy in case they need autographs next time.

I wasn't photographing the actual fashion show,but the reaction of the people in the audience,and the press pack dancing around with zoom lenses,when they are taking pictures a few feet away.They are always good for a laugh.

I don't understand that philosophy?.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid, did you set off a flashbulb or two? A couple of Press 40s would really impress 'em. I wish I could get my hands on a #75 flashbulb for some occassion. That would set 'em back on their heels.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,Glenn,
No I didn't take the #2773,really wasn't much point:although I nearly did.That really would have caused a sensation wouldn't it!
One blast even on the 5" reflector,let alone the 7",would have filled the place with enough light from one flashbulb,someone might have rang the Fire Dept:

Just the look of the flashgun,everyone would have scattered for cover.The immense firepower this gun has,puts everyone's electronic in the shade.

The only problem I encountered is the quietness of the shutter,you only need a slight noise from elsewhere,and you cannot hear if the shutter goes off.Imagine having a band around you like I did.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the rear shutter you'll hear it; and feel in in your fingertips as well!
There's a very real chance that I'll spend the next school year in the UK. I hadn't planned on packing a 4x5, but maybe my nice, shiny pre-war Anny would be just the ticket.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reaction to my 5X7 Speed should be interesting. Sid, I rather like the 3X4 Speed Graphic. It just fits my hand nicely. I have two of that size. One of them I have equipped with a 16 shot bag mag. That's plenty to keep a person busy.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: