Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

connecting King Sol flashgun to Dial-Set Compur.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 3x4 pre-A Speed and along with it in the box was a King Sol flash gun. The lens on the camera was a ZJ 135/4.5 Tessar in a Dial-Set Compur shutter.

I'd like to be able to connect the flash gun to the shutter, via a solenoid. The problem is that I have no idea which plug to use on the flash gun and I don't know if there is a solenoid that will work on this camera with this shutter.

Anyone have any suggestions about where I could start getting parts for this project?

Thanks.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Sol was a late commer to the table of flash guns, out right copying the Heiland. I know Mendelsohn made a solenoid for the Dial Compur in the early days. They even had an extra little finger to interfere with the shutter cocking lever so you could leave the lens open.

The hard way to solve the problem would be to search and research what kind of linkage a Dial Compur and a Heiland used. Then go find it.

The easier way (at least on the surface) would be to find a solenoid that screwed into the cable release hole. Both King Sol and Heiland made them and they are in effect a typical solenoid with a tapered thread on the head. Once you locate that, the rest is easy.

You might want to pick up a copy of "Synchroflash Photography by Morgan and Lester. It's of the time period of the Pre Ann and if nothing else, a fun read.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Anny. Speed had a dial-set Compur fitted with a SOL solanoid. As I recall, the linkage to the shutter release could be easily disconnected to allow B and T. Let me check my files and see if I still have the scans I took when I sold the camara.
If you go to http://www.datelinelondon.de/ and check the files you will find a PDF version on the King Sol installation guide/product listing.
I do in fact still have the scans on this harddrive. PM your e-mail and I'll send them, since I'm too dumb to figure out how to post a scan here.

[ This Message was edited by: Top on 2005-10-14 04:41 ]
johndc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually appears as if I have the hardware on the front of the lensboard to mount the solenoid, as well as the "finger" Les mentioned which holds the shutter open during a snap exposure. The only thing I'm missing is the solenoid itself.

Any idea where I could obtain one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: