Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roll film backs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithNP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this some time
Go to the B&H website and do a search for graflok under new equipment. Its quite an eyeopener! I found that Linhof makes a bunch of roll film backs that would fit my Crown graphic ("fits any 4x5 camera with a graflok back") WOW GREAT! Then I see the price - $1800+! (I assume they must be hand made out of platinum by swiss dwarven nuns* or something).
There are actually quite a few other roll backs by about 4 companies (linhof, horseman, arca-swiss, and another one I can't remember) with prices that are much more reasonable (nothing less than $500 though).
Just for Haha's - has anyone tried one?

*No disrespect for any vertically challenged readers - I mean dwarven in the Tolkien sense.
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

I have a Linhof 6X7 Super Rollex back that came with my Linhof set. It is a well made back and it holds the film very flat. Don't let the new prices shock you, they can be had much cheaper used. I think an Exc. + or better condition Linhof back on Ebay goes for $250 to $300. The black ones are the latest since the mid 70's but I think it is identical to the tan model which preceeded it. The model with the knob wind is quite old (mid 50's and earlier)...it may perform as well for all I know.

The Graflex roll film backs with a LEVER ADVANCE are good backs as well and less expensive used than Linhof. This version (as compared to the older Graflex models with KNOB WIND film advance) holds the film much flatter due to extra rollers. At some point in time, roll film was manufactured thinner and required the extra rollers to hold film flat. The KNOB BACK model (named "22" and "23") lack these rollers, resulting in film curl on the edges (I've heard as much as 3mm). This will be noticeable with shallow depth of field. The LEVER ADVANCE version came in sizes 6X6, 6X7, 6X9 in 120 film...also in 220 film and 70mm film (I think the 220 and 70mm are 6X7 only). Someone else can tell you better whether repair parts are readily available for Graflex backs...they are for the later versions of Linhof. Best of luck.
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 23 has the pin rollers, and is a knob wind. I prefer it to the lever wind, although it is slower, but much smoother.Russ
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ,

Was your back modified to add the additional rollers or are the bases between knob advance and lever advance backs interchangable (the additional rollers (stainless steel) are on the base (rather than the insert)?

Also, has anyone tried to retrofit the additional rollers into the base of the knob wind back?

jdman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin rollers on my 23 look exactly the same as the Singer RH-10. Of course the format is larger, but I understand that 6x9 with rollers are slightly less than 6x9 because of the space the rollers take up. I have another 23 without rollers. The 23 does not appear to have been modified. Maybe the rollers were added late in the production run. Russ
thommitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Speed Graphic and was able to pick up, through the generosity of a kind soul, two grafmatics and and "graphic 23". It looks to be in great shape but I can't figure out how to load the film into the "23". I may be spacially challenged but it is much more complex to load then my Rolleiflex. Any help, guidance, advice and tips would be appreciated. You can even make fun of me should you choose to.
I did buy a polaroid back, so I've been able to make some good pictures and am generally wowed by the by the beast and the whole process of exposing a frame. I come from 35 and got a Rollei for my 120 work so this large a negative is simply amazing.
Anyway please help me. Thanks in advance. Thom
jdman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down to Accessories in the help section and there are instructions for loading a 23 back, all backs be they knob or lever load in about the same way. Russ
cgoff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya RB67 backs work on 2 x 3 cameras with Graflok backs. They're modern, durable, hold the film flat, and are MUCH less expensive than Swiss-made backs.

Can be expensive new, but I snagged one for $65.00 (needing only light-seal refurbishment) a while back.

C. Goff
________
Jaguar XK150 specifications

Last edited by cgoff on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
pup7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just posted a question that might have been answered here. for some reason i didnt see the subject. anyway, im looking for a roll film back for my super speed that is wider than 6x9. i thought i saw something about a 6x12 once, but havent since. am i nuts.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 17:28, pup7 wrote:
i just posted a question that might have been answered here. for some reason i didnt see the subject. anyway, im looking for a roll film back for my super speed that is wider than 6x9. i thought i saw something about a 6x12 once, but havent since. am i nuts.

All it takes is money. Sinar makes just what you want.

I thought someone responded directly to your question and pointed out that the price of the Sinar back will buy a lot of 4x5 film. I think this was a hint to shoot 4x5 and not print the entire negative.

Cheers,

Dan
Padeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I was looking at the B&H site for the same thing and found Wista rollfilm backs for Graflok for under $400.

Is there any way to use or adapt an RB67 back for 4x5 Graflok cameras?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: