Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown tripod and chains?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of searching and waiting, I finally found a Crown tripod larger than a #2 (#4!). I was very excited to take it out of the box and put it together, stand it up, and watch as the legs slid across the floor

I had completely forgotten that the Crown tripods have no leg stops, so they splay out on hard shiny surfaces...

Not wanting to spike the legs into a floor, the obvious choice would be the chains to hold the legs together... Now I'm guessing that Gralfex offered something along these lines. Does anyone know how they were attached to the legs? I'd like to make something as close as possible to original for this tripod...

Thanks....

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what Kodak had in mind. Each leg is about 12" long with a hinged clamp at the end to allow for the angle of the tripod leg to vary.

All in all it would be a difficult item to duplicate and even more frustrating to use. They are hard to find because the few photographers that bought them tossed them in the field in frustration when the bent instead of sliding or slipping.

My solution was buy some flat chain, also called furnace chain, a key chain ring about 1 1/2" dia and some small dia. rod (1/8" or less, even heavy coat hanger wire) and three S hooks, small.

cut and fashion the rod so each length is about 3" long and has a loop in the center sorta like _____o______

Cut the furnace chain into equal lengths about a foot long attach them to the ring at one end, add the S hook and the wire stop at the other.

To use run the stop through the large hole in the first knee of the tripod, repeat with each leg. To adjust the spread use the S hook.

I suppose the S hook could be looped on the ring if that's easier.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2005-06-07 15:53 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks Les. Quite a contraption to say the least and no wonder they're not around any more. Who would even know what it was for nowadays?

I have to admit that I do like it though Maybe when I get the time (hah!) I'll look into fabricating a duplicate. Although slotting a strip of brass that long, three times may be more work than it's worth...

I do like your solution and that fabrication should be something I can do. A bit more compact and easy to carry also. And the best part is my local hardware store should have all the parts! And that's always a good thing

Well, I suppose we really can't be 100% original all the time and I'm sure people in the 30's did some of their own fabrication. But if I ever see one of those things laying around in a flea market/garage sale/antique store, I'm gonna grab it!

Thanks...
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOst people will know what it is as it says, "Kodak Tripod Brace" on it.

found this one on ebay.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was also common to take some rope and weave it through the tropod legs, but all this takes even more time to set up and take down and Crown tripods are not to be rushed with or you'll end up with kindling.

Les

RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well who'd'of thought that kodak would have actually labeled the thing

Rope is sure another viable alternative. And with today's technology, the nylon(?) cords used in backpacking along with those neat little spring/cylinder catch/keeper thing would make a very nice and light "chain". But it sure wouldn't look authentic and the nylon rope would probably stretch in use?

I like the chain s-hook idea and will pick those materials up this weekend... Have to see if they have brass colored chain? A brazing rod would make the perfect ends bent to shaps and even the s-hooks.

This is such a good idea that I think it's worthwhile for my modern Berlebachs too. Better safe than sorry sometimes...

paxety

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rope on my heavy duty Zone VI tripod with my 8x10 and see no signs of stretching. I'm sure rope would work just fine on any of the Crowns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: