Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to light with a series d????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstarza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a series d 4x5 and I want to do an indoor color portrait. Since I can't hook up a strobe, what are my lighting options. Putting some blue gels on my lowell lights and shooting with daylight film? Or maybe I should find a tungsten 4x5 film and shoot with that and not correct with the gels? Will the image look weird either way? Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
gstarza
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up camera on tripod, set up strobes, pose subject(s). Dim lights, meter the strobes with flash meter, set aperture, put camera on T and trip shutter, fire strobes with flash metrer, close shutter. The degree of ambient light will determine if ghosting or movement of subjects is registered on the film. An example can be found in the large format fourm, for a limited time only posted by me, the self portrait is such on an adverage afternoon.
Chalres

mrektar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN use strobe with a Super-D but it is limited to a very slow shutter speed. The shutter is set for O for open and the tension set for maximum. The mirror is set. When the trip button is pushed it opens the mirror which sets off the strobe while the complete frame is open. The shutter curtain then closes. The effective shutter speed is about 1/7th of a second so the studio must be dark enough so that this does not record ghost images. I've used this system with my Super-D and it works well. Otherwise you are stuck using either hot lights or, if you can find them, focal plane type flash bulbs at 1/1000second.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: