Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe I'am weird but, I carry around a "photospot notebook" wherever I go, to work, shopping, you name it I got it with me and when I see a potential photo say new construction, a line of trees or lit up buildings at night I write down the location and any other info I need and later go back at better times for sunlight and weather. When I lived in San Francisco it was much easier to carry a good backpack with everything you needed: camera, film, couple lenses, mp3 player and your wallet. Here in florida its much different. (The automobile is a blessing to progress and a curse to social interaction, road rage does not count as being social ) Anyway how do you take photos? any interesting habits on the way to everyones masterpiece?
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have a camera or two with me, so if a brief shot is possible (snow on trees, rainbow, etc), I can get it. As an example, two nights ago I came across a guy pumping oil out of the ground using an old one-lung stationary engine and a couple well-heads that I thought were abandoned. Took several shots.

Otherwise, I'll just mentally note a shot that I want to get some other time. We have a lot of cloudy days here, so often I'll see a shot but on a day that it's not quite what I want. So I'll make a mental note, and keep an eye on it each time I pass through, and eventually I'll get it on film.

I also find Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Calculator to be incredibly handy, when used intelligently with a meter. A search using Google will find the website.

douggrosjean@gmail.com
Various 35mm SLR and P&S cameras,
Kodak Medalist, Rolleicord, and Ciro-Flex,
Burke & James 4x5 Press, and #10 Cirkut
Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just what I do but, mental notes are lost quickly with me! Writing it down seems to work. Only problem is I have page after page of "spots" I need to revisit
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get into a new habit - printing out a spreadsheet that goes along with each camera / roll.

On it, I have film type, F-stop and shutter speed. EV from the meter, and if I compensated from that, and how much. Date of each shot, and subject.

I've just started doing this. I'm thinking I can put that paper in the envelope when I drop film off at the local lab, and then when I get it back I know what I did.

I used to keep such data in a little notebook when I started playing with cameras 20-25 years ago, and it helped me learn the basics quickly. Now, I'm playing with these old Ciro-Flex cameras, plus a pinhole, and my 35mm standbys, so I'm trying to revive that good habit.

douggrosjean@gmail.com
Various 35mm SLR and P&S cameras,
Kodak Medalist, Rolleicord, and Ciro-Flex,
Burke & James 4x5 Press, and #10 Cirkut
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: