Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

convenient Graflex neckstrap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a Graflex with a strap, but it makes special sense with a Century, which is so well-suited to handheld photography.

Thread 1" nylon strapping from a backpacking store thru your Graflex flash bracket slots: you get an excellent neckstrap. Wide, flexible, comfortable, super strong, and hanging sideways...more comfortable with a roll back than if it hung horizontally.

You need about 4ft of strap (it's sometimes sold by the foot) and you may be able to select from a collection of fittings if you get it from an REI store.

I distrust fittings, so I loop several inches of extra strap around thru the fitting as a backup, in case the fitting lets go.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a hand strap for my Century from 1" black nylon webbing purchased at a fabric store. This was to replace the original cheap plastic strap that Graflex furnished with the camera. I use plastic fittings, but in such a way that if they do fail the strap will not separate itself from the lugs.

Nylon webbing can be melt-welded with an ordinary soldering iron; I used an 80 watt iron. This is a very convenient alternative to sewing a loop with needle and thread whenever you want to fasten the webbing to a fitting. Simply loop the webbing over on itself and draw the hot iron across the contact area, and voila! the weld is instant and permanent.
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a company called Banks actually made a strap for the Graflex. I am the proud owner of probably the only extant model left. I don't have a way to link to the pic, but it had clips to attach to the camera [both sides - remove camera strap on left, and hook into bracket mounted on right outside rangefinder], as well as an elastic band to go around the body to keep it from "bouncing".

The cover of the package even showed a guy with a 45 Crown on his chest, w/o using his hands! Weird.

Wouldn't be caught dead using the thing, but I can say "I've got one". Another of those "seemed a good idea at the time" things.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2004-12-05 21:48 ]
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an ordinary nylon camera strap on my Tech V. There are strap lugs on the top of the camera for a strap of about 15mm wide. I check it regularly for wear, but I think it's held up pretty well for a couple of years. My plan is just to change it as a matter of course every few years, before there's even a question of it breaking or coming loose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: