Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on a 2x3 Burke & James

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xbartx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looking for advise on a 2x3 Burke & James Press camera that I came across at a yard sell and I'm deciding if I should try to fix it ? The bigest flaw looks to be the bellows, with rather large light leaks in several corners. The101mm Wollensak lens looks clean, not sure about shutter speeds( I plan on taking it apart soon). The rangefinder is not working? It also came with a 620 Adapt-a-roll in nice shape. Overall the camera is very clean. I can't find much info on the internet on this camera and I don't know if I want to spend alot of time and money fixing it up. What kind of images will it produce? Would I be better off selling it? There are several other questions about it that I have if anyone out ther knows anything about this camera?
-Brad Barton
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many ways the Busch has the Mini speed beat (yeah I know I'll do my Hail Marys later)

but the only two solutions for a bellows is attempted repair, or replacement. The best bellows by far is from England and unfortunately it'll be several times the value of the camera.

The next alternative is bellows patch from Bostick and Sullivan. I have it, just havent' tried it yet. I've heard good things. The cost is modest at around $15

The last attempt is electricians tape. It's bulky and it won't allow the camera to close on most repairs.

You didn't say what the rangefinder was. Most were Kalart and all the Kalart info found here will still hold true.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a photo store around you close, see if you can find some cloth Gaffers tape, it does great for bellows repairs, looks real good and can be removed with out leaving residue, I have been using for years, the brand I get is Bogen and comes in 2" rolls about 100' feet long for about $8.00, best thing I have ever found for repairing bellows.

Dave

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of these babies. If the lens is in good shape, it will produce fine results. Chances are, the shutter will need a cleaning. I have been using a thin rubberized cloth material for patching bellows.
If the the corners all look a little rough, I just cut a strip about an inch wide and long enough to cover all the rough corners and just glue it on as reinforcement. If you are careful, and only cover what is needed (usualy the first 4 or 5 corners) it looks very professional and shouldn't impede closing the camera. Someone posted a source for similar material but I can't recall where it was. Maybe Porter's? Shutter curtain cloth would be an excellent material.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not out of the question to made a replacement bellows. Having the worn-out one to look at (and take apart) is half the battle. This site has some remarkably good suggestions for sources of material. The late Ed Romney wrote a very lucid manual on bellows-making; the Romney website repays study.
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4x5 B&J. From what I recall the small one is only different in size. The camera has all the movements you might want and then some on the front. Quality of the image will be a function of the lens and you. The camera won't hold you back other then the lack of rear movements.

You're the only one that can decide if it's worth fixing. B&Js don't sell for much
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: