Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugo13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Series B here. It's stamped 167244 on the lid. It's in pretty rough shape, put all the parts are here. It looks like someone stored it open for years, as the inside is much dirtier than the outside.

Anyway, does anybody have any idea on the age? Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning this camera, including dismantling it. I'm somewhat daunted by the shutter assembly and am concerned about just taking it apart.

Also, the tensioner seems to work fine, but the curtain adjuster doesn't turn very far and the curtain hardly moves across the film opening. Can anyone help in the repair of the shutter?

Lastly, is it worth repairing, especially as film is so difficult to acquire in this size? should I just clean it up and put it on a shelf?

Thanks for any assistance,
Brett
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-15 17:56, hugo13 wrote:
I've got a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Series B here. It's stamped 167244 on the lid. It's in pretty rough shape, put all the parts are here. It looks like someone stored it open for years, as the inside is much dirtier than the outside.
Anyway, does anybody have any idea on the age?

The camera was made sometime in the summer of '29

Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning this camera, including dismantling it. I'm somewhat daunted by the shutter assembly and am concerned about just taking it apart.

At the Henry Ford museum we used saddle soap, followed by Lexol as a preservative. Keep the water to a minimum. I'd stay away from removing/dismantling the shutter.

Quote:

Also, the tensioner seems to work fine, but the curtain adjuster doesn't turn very far and the curtain hardly moves across the film opening. Can anyone help in the repair of the shutter?

A couple of things come to mind, The shutter could be wound up all the way and the spring is shot, or the shutter has taken a memory and is now petrified in a rolled up position, which doesn't want to travel infront of the lens. Either of these problems would necessitate a new part.

Quote:

Lastly, is it worth repairing, especially as film is so difficult to acquire in this size? should I just clean it up and put it on a shelf?

Considering the size/cost of the film and the problems with the shutter I don't think this is a good candidate for a major restoration, Even then, it will be like driving a Model A Ford. You take it out to drive it/ shoot it, not because it's the best car/camera for the job.

Les

Thanks for any assistance,
Brett
[/quote]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett--you have invested your money--so get some use out of the camera!! It doesnt make sence not to do the repairs! I would clean it up, adjust the curtain, clean the glass, and shoot some photos!! I HAVE CURTAIN ADJUSTMENT INSTRUCTIONS THAT I CAN EMAIL!
you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do the work, and you will have fun doing it!!
Saddle soap and Neatsfoot oil is my preferance, as lexan sometimes gets sticky!!
These old cameras and lenses produce a unique
photo---and there are several ways to get around the film size problems!!!
If you want convenience--use a Nikon--if you want a camera--use a Graflex!!! Some of us prefer to work with the Model A Ford--(have you tried to work on a (computerized) auto lately?????)) Bert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: