Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct Film Holder for Press Graflex?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your the one who outbid me on Ebay last week!!! I saw that 5x7 Graflex Holder and didn't bid high enough on it. They are indeed hard to find. I would just be happy with one at this point. Maybe I need to call Glenn Evans.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, JP! Did you see the next one that finished a couple of days later? I didn't inquire about it, but it looked like the same type (and went for about $30 less than I paid!).
semihemi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry also jpmose if I was the guilty party! If you are still talking to me, maybe you can answer a question about the 5x7 film holder (not bag mag). When I flip open the tape hinge to load the film, I can see traces of light coming through the tape hinge itself if I hold it up to a light source. Is this something to worry about? Is there such a thing as "Holder Hinge Tape" available?

Thanks in advance. (Next one is yours, I swear.)

JC
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an unusual situation, even with modern filmholders. You can replace the tape with gaffer's tape cut to size, or there is also a cloth tape used to repair books that I've seen used, but the tape shouldn't really be responsible for keeping out the light. The flap itself is usually designed to form a light trap when closed. As long as the tape is holding the flap on, I'd test before replacing it.
semihemi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the self-trapping hinge of the holder. It is indeed as you suggested.

As for the Press itself, I went through and lubed all the moving parts in the shutter and it seems adequately smooth (although nothing like my 4x5 shutter with a new curtain). I am going to test it now and hope that the old, dry curtain does not leak light or spray microgrit all over the film.

Best,
JC
jpmose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back to this thread. I had heard there was a particular tape to use on holders...now I have the answer. There are holders on Ebay right now and I guess I will have to pay dearly to get them. But you only live once. I bought my Press Graflex in March or April and still haven't used it.
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John...check your private messages.

JP Mose
semihemi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to the miracle of modern technology, I have scared up three 5x7 slotted Graflex plate holders for the Press. Does anyone know where to find the filmholder inserts for a plate holder? 'Spose I should have asked this before I grabbed them, eh?
JC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: