Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 x 7 Press - some good luck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been threatening to repair my Press Graflex for a year or so now without actually getting out of the chair to attack it. It was an eBay fleece job: "light wear, works just fine, etc" when in fact the focussing rack was cockeyed and would not seat or focus properly, glass was filthy beyond reckoning, leather was falling off in whole calfskins and the shutter clearly had not been fired since Ted Williams was the batting champ.

Well, it doesn't seem to happen this way too often but the bloody thing practically put itself back together in about an hour last night. The focus rack had to be "jumped" one tooth on one side but not the other and voila, the rack was squared up perfectly. Just removing the cap on the side without the knob allowed enough play into the rack and pinion system to realign it, no muss and no fuss. A light dab of grease on each side returned the focussing action to like new.

The shutter provided the next surprise. A spot of lube at each point of contact seemed to relax the action considerably. I had planned to tear the whole thing out and rebuild it but I am now going to try it in the real world ans see how it does.

The glass swabbed up beautifully as well. Mirror and ground glass screens gave up a horrifying amount of schmutz but sparkled in the end.

The lens was the best surprise of all. It is a Protar Series VII 13-3/4 inch (triple convertible?). I would rate it as perfect or nearly so. Any input or tips on using the lens would be welcome - it is a bit intimidating due to the multiple cells and f/scales.

Reflex mirror seems to be second surface to me. Is this a problem?

Next job is to grab a couple of grooved film holders on eBay, unless anyone has a better source. All input welcome!
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protars came in complete as a single cell. If you buy two of the same cell you'll get a double convertable at f6.8, If you buy two of different focal lengths you'll get a triple convertable but at a slower f7 or f7.7.

I'm guessing it's a double as Graflexes wanted bright images. So look on the rear element and see what it says. Im guessing you're not focusing at 13.75" right now.

Les

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi....second surface mirror is no problem, probably a good thing when cleaning with spit and a dirty hankie!
Bert
semihemi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Les, the front and the rear cell are the same, so it would be a double convertible, yes? This makes sense because there are only two aperture scales around the lens. Thanks for the info,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: