Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tripod recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longliz1888

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend either a vintage or new tripd to use with my Speed graphic? I want something heavy duty, would prefer vintage but any suggestions would be helpful.
I live in the UK so keep that in mind.
Thanks in advance.
G
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'round town and traveling-by-car I like my Bogen 3020 with the joystick head. It will take the lens up to just over eye level (5'10") and takes quite a beating without a whimper.

For Backpacking I like the 3001 and a ball head. Yes those Graphite tripods are nice but it's a whole lot cheaper to shed the pound or pound and a half off of me than the tripod.

For Vintage I'd go with a Crown #4 or 3. They will go up to just over 5' and are lighter than the Bogens, but take more time to open and put together. When assembled and stuck in the dirt they are sturdy, but don't get into a hurry with one or you'll break a strut.

Many times the Crown #1 was sold with a Speed. It only goes up to chest height if that, not nearly what you need.

Kodak/Graflex made a "Professional Tripod" It looks like a Crown on Steroids. It won't get much higher but the struts are beefier and the joints are metal reinforced (brass or stainless depending on the era). It has the same, don't get in a hurry attitude, but I have one and use it with my Speed, and my 8x10 Deardorff without a problem.

Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Bogen (Manfrotto) 3001 with the Manfrotto Medium Geared Head for my Century 2x3, and wouldn't go back to the standard three-lever head for love or money. The Geared Head is a permanent investment and well worth the initial payout, IMO. This combo should be plenty adequate with 4x5 (or 5x4 as you say).
Baker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Bogen/Manfrotto 3xx1 series -- I have a 3221 (the black version of the 3001, I think) with the 3030 3-way head. They came together as a package from Calumet for right at $200 (about £112). Stable, not too heavy, and at a good price.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to throw my vote in here. I like _wood_! I've been trying to get a Crown #4 ever since Les told me about them, but have just about given up....

I serached for a long time, bought a few worthless old tripods (hard to tell from auction pics and descriptions). I couldn't afford a Reis which is the stock answer in LF (in the upper crowd anyway).

I finally found Berlebach. They're made in Germany and have a nice web site at: http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

Only a limited number of models are imported here, but the 2042 (I think) I bought is fairly light, extremely sturdy, a perfect fit for a 3047 Bogen head (which it doesn't really need because of the leveling head), made of WOOD (ash), and I love it! It's almost as nice as the 4032 I recently acquired for my 8x10.

If you like WOOD, take a look at Berlebachs. For the cost, you can't go wrong, especially for 4x5.

If you're willing to settle for metal, then listen to those other guys

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess time to throw my vote in the bucket, I currently have a number of tripods, 3001, 3221 bogens, the 3221 is actually a larger tripod than the 3001, the 3001 works great for backpacking, but my favorites are probably one of the best bargins in the tripod market, I have 4 of the older make Adaptall/Tiltall tripods and I love them, there were made in a couple of different sizes, now I am not talking about the new version that B&H sells, the new one is lighter made than the older ones, but I shoot virtually any camera and lens combo on them with no problems at all, including my 600 f/4 for my 35mm set up, they hold my toyo with no problem and they work great with my graphics, normally you can find a good used one at the dreaded auction site for about $50.00 plus shipping, like I said I have 4 of them and it was one of the best investments I ever made..

Dave
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good choice if very compact folded size isn't a requirement is the venerable "Tiltall" -- rigid, simple, durable, not real expensive, and has an integral pan-and-tilt head.

On the pricey end, you might look at the Gitzo "Studex" series. Some are quite compact, and Gitzo tripods are beautifully designed and manufactured.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best buys that I have ever made was a "one size fits All!" tripod. A Gitzo G1549 MK2. No shake with this one!
Harry
Weight with Bogen #3025 head equals 8.5 pounds.

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-05-10 02:09 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: