Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever used a Pony Premo A 4x5" camera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I did a web search on this little camera (which resembles a small Speed Graphic sans viewfinder and rangefinder) just before buying it (ack!) on a whim a few days ago on eBay.

It appears to be turn-of-the-century, at latest. I found a bit of info that stated the company which made it, Rochester Optical Co., was part of a five company conglomerate (Rochester Optical and Camera Co.) bought up by Kodak in 1903.

The Pony Premo line with R.O.C. name was apparently produced from 1893 through 1899.

Anyone used one of these? I figured it would be a neat little addition to my 4x5 stuff. (Ok, it's the second 4x5 I own, counting my Graflex Pre-Anniv. S.G.)

Mine has a spring-type back with ground glass. Photos of it can be seen at this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2951738715&category=15247&rd=1

Gotta love that air-bulb shutter!

Any anecdotes/tips/etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Micah in NC
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems of shooting a turn of the century plate camera is that there wasn't any standard for film holders. Most of the time you need the film holder for a Poco because even a film holder from another (upscale) camera from ROC might not fit.

The holder that became standard was designed by Folmer and Schwing of Speed Graphic fame, they fell into the big yellow umbrella in 1904.

It's possible that if your Poco is a post 04 camera, normal holders will fit. Then it's just a matter of checking for pin holes, keeping the bellows covered during exposure since the pin holes will eventually be there.

Oh and the shutter is accurate to + or - 2 stops. particularly at slow speeds. A hat in front of the shutter will be more accurate.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
I knew there might be an issue with actually using this camera--I might do so once in a while, just for grins.

Before I bought it, I asked the seller--quite a nice fellow, btw--if modern 4x5" film holders would fit the Premo. He said they do, and my Riteway holders for my Graflex do indeed fit the Premo.

However, I have learned on the 'Net that glass plate holders and sheet film holders might hold the actual emulsion layer at different distances from the lens, due to thickness of glass plates which this camera was designed for. So, I might try this Premo with my Polaroid 500 sheet film back (which also fits), but I the film might not be in the proper orientation from the ground glass & the intended 1895 film plane.

What? +/- 2 stops accuracy on the shutter? Heh, heh, heh. Guess that's part of the fun of using a machine this old...but the pneumatic shutter seems to work quite nicely and is very snappy, not sluggish.

Thanks,
Micah in NC
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this post. I have a Premo 'B' ca. 1896 that I use occasionaly. Modern 4X5 holders do fit, though sometimes a little tight, lengthwise, and I can't close the little door on the side with a modern holder in place. Focusing on the ground glass works perfecly. I measured the depth of the glass vs. film plane and they are very close to perfect. The unmarked lens is, with 80% certainty, a Bosch & Lomb Rapid Rectilinear. I took mine out of the old Victor shutter and mounted it in a Kodak Ball Bearing shutter, vintage 1915. Elements fit right in. Spacing is the same and now have two accurate, consistant speeds. 1/25 is correct and 1/100 is about 1/60. The lens is great for landscapes. Very sharp and great depth of field at f:22 or 32. I peeled all the leather off of mine and lacquered it. It was so bad when I got it, you would not have guessed it was a camera. Inside is beautiful and the maroon leather bellows are excellent. The camera, without film holder weighs 36 ounces. It's neat!

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

Hi. I just found your reply today. I can't use my Premo, sadly, at this time. I opened up the Victor shutter and did something bad to it, I fear, for the two "eclipse" (?) shaped shutter leaves drag over each other. I tried removing them and cleaning them, re-installing, but no dice.

I may use some other lens on the Premo, but that brass lens and Victor shutter look so neat!

--Micah in NC
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I have left you a private message regarding your shutter.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many times as I have been here, this is the first time I have ever looked in this section and noticed this thread, I have several Premos, that I have either rebuilt or been able to use as I bought them, they work great as LF backpacking cameras, in fact, I donated one to the cause and we templated them out so we could produce a few for a couple of friends that I backpack with, I made the new ones out of poplar wood that I got at Home Depot and finished them.
They are a great little camera..

Dave
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-15 16:37, Rangemaster wrote:
As many times as I have been here, this is the first time I have ever looked in this section and noticed this thread, I have several Premos, that I have either rebuilt or been able to use as I bought them, they work great as LF backpacking cameras, in fact, I donated one to the cause and we templated them out so we could produce a few for a couple of friends that I backpack with, I made the new ones out of poplar wood that I got at Home Depot and finished them.
They are a great little camera..

Dave

Hi Dave,

I just saw your post today. Do you use original shutter on these old Premos? Or do you put on newer glass/shutters?

Also, do you use regular sheet film holders in your Premos (since they were really meant for glass plates I haven't got around to experimenting with mine by shooting sheet film to see if the focus will still be correct).

I hope it is OK and I won't have to shim the camera back or plane it down, etc.

Wow, you made your own! Sounds like a neat project!

--Micah in NC

EDIT: Duh! I just re-read Glenn's post from this Feb. He says his work fine with sheet film holders. I need to learn to read more closely!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Micah in NC on 2004-05-21 11:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: