Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown View Back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wood_raymond79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Here is the lowdown. From what I can see, the 'Crown View' is supposed to come with a wooden back that takes wooden sheet film holders. The one that I received with my camera is actually a frankenstein type job with the wooden backplate from the 'Crown View' and the metal back plate from the 'Graphic View' fastened to it. Mounted in the metal back plate is a 'Graphic' back with a cut sheet of frosted glass tarred in place.

I definately had the wool pulled over my eyes on this purchase.

Now to move on, I was hoping that someone out there might be able to set me up with either a 'Crown View back' or a detailed schematic of one so that I may build my own. A schematic of the original wood/brass recessed lens board as well as the wooden film holders would also be a great help. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Good to see new blood on this forum! I may not be too much help but at least I can try. I'm glad you are moving away from Restoration to just getting to a working camera. Believe me, no one is going to get rich investing in these type cameras.
Can you take some photographs of your camera so we could take a look at it? Or, did you buy it on eBay? If so, what is the auction number?
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-03-15 16:23 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to build film holders? The old wood ones are very cheap and easy to get. Even the galss plate models come around now and then.

Now the back I can understand. My first suggestions would be to measure what size the original back might be. Old wood backs can come up now and then too and it would save you a lot of time. unfortunately there were few standard sizes. I've bought a couple of backs only to find out that the dimensions were off by an 1/8 or 1.4 of an inch...

Then I would suggest you find someone with a Crown View who would takes some detailed pictures of their camera for you. And of course if you could find that person, they could measure their back for you.

Does your camera still have the 'springs' to hold the back? The wood backs are usually held on by four springs. The back would have pins at all the corners that go through holes in the springs, which stick out from the camera box back by a half inch or so.

I wish I could help more. Really, cause I almost bought a Crown View recently. unfortunately, the wallet gave my brain a good smack and I passed on it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: