Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a new user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paxety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see a forum for stories, so I'll post this here.

My camera club had an outing over the weekend in which members were being taught how to use their digigizmos. Since I know very little about them, I decided to go. I took along one of my small cameras - my Anniversary Speed Graphic.

A woman at the meeting came up to me - she was excited to see the old camera was still usable, as she had one or two she had inherited. I made her promise to bring them to the next club meeting, and she did.

She had a nice miniature Speed, a 4x5 Anniversary Speed in need of some TLC with Graflex back and a Schneider 210mm lens, no infinity stops and no film holders, and an almost mint very late 4x5 Crown Special. She got very excited when I told her the Crown was a very usable camera and that the film holders she had would work with it. I promised to take her out shooting one day. I'm very happy we have another member of our little club of happy Graflex users.
j.e. simmons

Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paxety

I posted the below message last summer and I think it bears repeating in light of the letter above from you, as it is up to all of us to keep the flame alive, so to speak, for all of the older cameras such as we use, and to take the time to share and educate others when they ask about them.

My letter in June 2003:

I took my 4 x 5 Crown Graphic Special into my local camera store one Saturday last year, to show to one of the salesman who had expressed an interest, and was mobbed by a group of High School students who were starting a photo course at their school.

The questions they asked about my camera were both sincere and comical, as they had never seen a camera like this, much less in person, and were at a loss as to what it was or what it did.

I explained to them the background of the Graflex cameras and their niche in the history of the world that these great cameras played a part in, and in a huge leap of faith I let each one hold the camera as if they were going to take a picture with it.

And I hoped that this gesture and my time spent with them perhaps made some converts amongst them to our cause of using these older cameras, not because they are the latest model or the most fashionable, but because of the time and effort needed to use these cameras which makes one more understanding of what it takes to produce a quality image, both in the field and in the darkroom.

My great-nephew (4 years old) likes to look at my camera equipment, but doesn't like the darkroom because he says it smells like a hospital, and my great-niece (11 going on 30) who can't be bothered as she's too busy being a brat, but there's still hope for the younger generation I suppose.

"graflite"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: