Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UFO- Unidentified Flash Outfit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I"m not monitoring the Helpboard, I like to watch Truner Classic Movies, pariculalry the One Reel Wonders.
In two different movies from the late thirtys/pre-war 40s I found a photographer using a Pre-Ann with an odd flash. The body looks like a typical flashlight from the time, but modified, so it may have been a Jacobson. It was the refector that caught my eye.

It was probably 7" dia, designed for the large press 40 size bulbs and looke like this

Anybody got any ideas who might have made it?

Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one that looked like this....had the perhaps 6 (?) batteries inside the circumference. If I see something in an old camera magazine I may post the name. Sorry, that's not much.
Is there a compartment that would hold some batteries?

Lensman

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be exactly what you were referring to, but it does have a similar silhoette in the drawing you posted with your original message -(no longer available in the post) - but is likely a '50's Heiland unit. Takes smaller bulbs than one you mentioned. The reflector appears to be 'thick' possibly holding batteries.
See it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2927346458&category=4702
Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this maybe the old flash unit that you may have seen, and which I remember as having batteries inside the back of the reflector. I beleive it had a compartment behind the reflector where batteries were placed, one after the other in a donut shaped compartment. What do you think? It is on eBay Number 2983155868 Only for a few hours, although the listing may remain long enough for you to view. Now that I know the name of 'Goodspeed' as the brand offered...and that is an OLD brand, I may be able to find it in my old issues of Popular Photography with a better picture and description. I am pretty certain that it is the one I remember that sounds like what you were asking about in your first post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: