Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unknown bulb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a great batch of old stuff, and among the flashbulbs are several samples of a bulb I have never heard of. It is a Westinghouse SM, and it is the size and bayonet base of a 25. The really weird thing is that there is no flash filament in the bulb, only two large electrodes connected by a very fine filament. They are safety coated. The only thing I can guess is that they are gas filled, and rely on the filament to ignite the gas.

Am I right?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they are gas filled have a 5 ms delay with a very short duration and not a whole lot of light, but this is what was used to freeze motion of skaters and acrobats. Sort of a disposable 285 vivtar.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another 5-millisecond delay gas-filled bulb, the "SF." These were what the "F" setting on an "MXF" leaf shutter was for -- most modern shutters in the 1950s offered those choices. Indeed, the gas-filled lamps do not put out a lot of light, but the illumination rises and falls very quickly, so more light gets through the shutter at 1/400 or 1/500 second. I used them a couple of times, and they do work as advertised.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM (Speed Midget) bulbs = 3300 lumen seconds of light. Flash duration equal to 1/200 second shutter speed.
Able to stop motion if it isn't too fast. Good mostly for close up shots, 6 to 8 feet with medium speed or faster films. They don't get hot, just warm to the touch, and they turn white when fired. I have a whole case of the things but have no idea why.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: