Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extension of the range finder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Century Graphic and have a side range finder.However when I use the 120 roll film back,I find it difficult to use the range finder.The back just keep me apart from the range finder.So is there any extensions for viewing the range finder?
Also,what is the use of the top window of the range finder?Any extensions for it?
Thanks!
lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,where and how can I get it?
Thanks!
lamb
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they made both a tubular and a telescopic extension for the later Kalart RF, but none that extends beyond the back of the camera body. If you want it to go to the back of the roll body, you might have to find one of these as an example, and then go ask a machinist to help.

On certain Karlart RFs there is an opening on the very top, usually hidden by a sliding door. There was an attachement called a Focospot that was nothing more than a light bulb in a housing, with a connection to the flash battery case.

When properly mounted and adjusted it help the photographer focus in low light situations. Supposedly these were developed to photograph the interiors of B-17 bombers while under construction.

here's what one looks like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2975874653&category=29981

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2003-12-29 05:24 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try hard to find the Focuscope version of the Rangefinder magnifier [what Less called the telescope version]. He used that description because it telescopes into itself. The rigid version is hazardous to the well being of your eye - easy to poke it if you bump the camera on something while its up to your eye.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that but the focusscope actuall magnifies the image tby 2X, so it's easier to get that critical focus, but because of the lenses you won't be able to extend it . The rigid version is just an empty tube.

Les
lamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!But how can I find either the tubular or a telescopic extension?Are they expensive?
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the list of suppliers given on the main Graflex.org page. They are not common items anymore, but they can still be found.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also can swing the lid atop the rangefinder housing aside and look down into the "Focuspot" port to focus the camera, thus getting past the rollfilm adapter. The image is inverted, but that shouldn't stop anyone accustomed to a groundglass back.

I once saw (from a distance) a Kalart rangefinder with an eyecup attached to the top, for that purpose. I don't know whether this was an OEM Kalart accessory, a widget made by one of the many small companies that made widgets during the decade after World War II, or something the owner rigged up at the kitchen table one evening. I never saw another one, but I thought it was a good idea. The "Focuspot" attaches by means of a two-lug bayonet, and is held in place by a flat metal retainer screwed to the RF housing. It shouldn't be impossibly difficult to make an eyepiece like this.

Graflex made a short telescope with a rubber eyecup to screw into the back of the top-mounted "Pacemaker" rangefinder. My old "Century" came with one of these installed on its Kalart rangefinder, so the screw seems to have been the same for both rangefinders. Until a few years ago, I thought mine was a "Focuscope," but it wasn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: