Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to fit the rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capitaine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a Crown Graphic Special with a 135mm TessarT*.The camera is quite perfect but the Tessar not very fine(old Compur)that i have replaced by a recent Copal 1.I want to replace the Tessar by a 121mm Schneider.How can I fit the rangefinder definitively to this nex focus.
Thank you for your response
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. This site has info on adjusting the Kalart to different lenses: http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html
Fred
capitaine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Fred
The rangefinder of my camera is not on the side of the body but above and what you indicate me does not work .
Thank you for your interest
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top RF cameras use cams that have to be machined to the lens. An existing one may be close enough to work. From the Home page, access by clicking the graphic.org banner at the top of any page, click on Technical Information where at the top is a DIY on making new cams. Super Graphic cams will not work on Crowns.
From the home page click on Cameras then on Graflex Graphic Model History then scroll down and click on Pacemaker Crown Graphics there you will find a link labled "intrchangable cams". It is a list of the factory issued cams, each cam has a number stamped on it.
To access the cam, open the camera as if shooting, advance rails to focus at 10 feet or so, now looking into the lens, along the top "between" the bellows and the bottom of the camera top is a hinged door that comes straight out, hinge pin on the left and pull on the right, it locks at 900 to the camera. The cam is the silver loking thing in the slot. To remove push it left and pull out on the right. To install hold cam with straight edge and small tabs at each end away from you with tall edge to your right. Put left corner in slot in cam rod first, sliding the cam under the tracking arm and against the tension spring. Push the cam to the left some more then seat the right side in the cam rod slot and release. It should slide over and make contact with the bed follower pin on the right and as you move the focus toward infinity, move left. Close the cam door and you're done.
Moving the focus beyond the closest focusing distance of the cam, about 6 feet, the cam will come out from under the tracking arm and jam the assembly when trying to return to infinity focus. If this happens open the cam door and reseat the cam with the bed set to focus futher than the minimum cam diatance.
Trying to replace/reseat a cam with the camera focused infinity to 25 feet will be difficult as it makes it harder to get the cam between the tension spring and the follower pin in the tube slot.
Charles

alecj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, don't forget that after you swap that lens, your distance scale on the bed, and the infinity stops won't be accurate either. There's a lot to consider when making such a change if you're not going to use the camera as a view camera.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/

click on Graflex manuals on the bottom left and download all you ever wanted to know and then some, Rich won't mind.

capitaine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Thank you for your posts.
There is no more problem with the rangefinder now but another problem appears :all my pictures are lightly blurredis the problem about the view glass.
Je continue en français car j'ai beaucoup de mal à m'exprimer dans votre langue.Ce très léger flou est constaté aussi bien au 1/250 qu'au 1/30,à l'infini qu'à courte distance,avec letessar de 135 mm qu'avec un 75mm.je pense que le problème se situe au niveau du calage du verre dépoli arrière.Qu'en pensez vous?.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-14 09:41, capitaine wrote:
Hi guys
Thank you for your posts.
There is no more problem with the rangefinder now but another problem appears :all my pictures are lightly blurredis the problem about the view glass.
Je continue en français car j'ai beaucoup de mal à m'exprimer dans votre langue.Ce très léger flou est constaté aussi bien au 1/250 qu'au 1/30,à l'infini qu'à courte distance,avec letessar de 135 mm qu'avec un 75mm.je pense que le problème se situe au niveau du calage du verre dépoli arrière.Qu'en pensez vous?.
Capitaine wrote: I continue in French because I have a lot of difficulty expressing myself in your language. That fuzziness is noticeable as well at 1/250 as at 1/30, at infinity and close up, with the 135 Tessar and with a 75. I think the problem is due to the position of the ground glass. What do you think of this idea?

Well, Cap'n, its possible that the ground glass is not in register with the film plane. I take it you are focusing on the ground glass. You've tried most of the possibilities, but have you used more than one film holder? Also, is the ground glass in properly? Its very easy to put it in shiny side front (towards the lens), many good photographers have made that mistake.

Cheers,

Dan
capitaine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan
Thank's for the translation (very good)
I've used 4x5 graphic film holder, 4x5 Fidelity, 4x5 Lisco and 6x9 Graflex with always the same Blur. The ground glass is well mounted ,shiny side,towards back.
I don't understand why the problem occurs even with a wide angle lens which gives a great depth field,but i 'm going on ..
cordiales salutations
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-15 04:14, capitaine wrote:
Hi Dan
Thank's for the translation (very good)
I've used 4x5 graphic film holder, 4x5 Fidelity, 4x5 Lisco and 6x9 Graflex with always the same Blur. The ground glass is well mounted ,shiny side,towards back.
I don't understand why the problem occurs even with a wide angle lens which gives a great depth field,but i 'm going on ..
cordiales salutations
Ahoy, Cap'n! Does your focusing panel have a fresnel lens?

If so, is it in front (lens side) of the ground glass? It should be.

If so, is the focusing panel set up for the fresnel? To find out, remove ground glass and fresnel. The surface the fresnel rests on should be perhaps 1 mm above the rest of the frame. If it is ~ 3 mm high, don't use the fresnel.

If there is no fresnel, check the frame as above to see if it is set up for fresnel. If it is, you need one.

Good luck,

Dan
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the focus panel and measure the distance from the inside face to the ground glass. This measurement should be the same as it is on the film holder, from the face to the film. If not, something is wrong with the ground glass setting.
One more thing: You said you have re-mounted the lens in a new shutter. Are you sure the cell spacing is correct? That Tessar lens should be very sharp.
Two more things: If the ground glass is out of register, you will have to fine tune your rangefinder again after it is fixed.

"Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"

[ This Message was edited by: glennfromwy on 2003-11-15 19:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: glennfromwy on 2003-11-15 19:12 ]
capitaine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonsoir (il est 21h30 à Nice où j'habite) à tous et merci de vos conseils .Le problème est résolu ,c'était bien le dépoli qui était en cause .Jai remis le dépoli d'origine graflex et tout est rentré en ordre.
Hi Thanks at all of you.the problem is solved .The ground glass was not the proper one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: