Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbachofen

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat new to the Speed Graphic. I've yet to get my first roll of shots back from my newly acquired RH-12. I've read through the site and am really curious about possible shutters which will fit the 6X9 Speed Graphics. If the shutter says Compur "0" or "3" and so forth, which fits? I really like my 1947 "Baby" and hope my pics come out as good as they looked on the Ground-glass.
mbachofen
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed lack of response to your question
The "0" shutter is about all that will fit
the small lenseboard on your baby Graphic
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-23 21:04, mbachofen wrote:
I'm somewhat new to the Speed Graphic. I've yet to get my first roll of shots back from my newly acquired RH-12. I've read through the site and am really curious about possible shutters which will fit the 6X9 Speed Graphics. If the shutter says Compur "0" or "3" and so forth, which fits? I really like my 1947 "Baby" and hope my pics come out as good as they looked on the Ground-glass.
mbachofen

I believe that Copal and Prontor #1s will fit. Am about to send a couple of Pacemaker 2x3 boards out to be drilled so I can mount Copal #1 Press shutters from Polaroid MP-4s.
mbachofen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post and let me know how mounting the Copal #1's worked out. If I'm looking at a shutter, or examining a picture of one, how can I tell if it's a Copal 0 or 1 or Prontor 0 or 1?
m. bachofen

[/quote]

I believe that Copal and Prontor #1s will fit. Am about to send a couple of Pacemaker 2x3 boards out to be drilled so I can mount Copal #1 Press shutters from Polaroid MP-4s.
[/quote]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which Compurs are which but will hazard a guess. I have a 90mm Angulon that is probably a zero that fits without a problem. This shutter is roughly the size of a supermatic for a 101 ektar.

I also have an 80 planar that must be in a Compur 1 since the overall dia of the shutter is slightly larger than the width of the lensboard. This shutter will fit but, depending on age/model it might need shimming in the back to space the shutter out slightly so the slide locks that hold the board on will work. and you can pretty much forget the use of the body release since the shutter tripper on the shutter is too close to the body shutter cable
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-23 21:04, mbachofen wrote:
mbachofen

Copal 1s will fit, also the largish Rapax used on the 250/5.6 TeleOptar and 160/5.6 Pro Raptar.

I just had a conversation with S. K. Grimes about mounting an Ilex #3 on a 2x3 Pacemaker board. Won't work with a lens in the shutter, but it is possible to mount the shutter on the board if the goal is to mount a lens in front of the shutter.

One of the things that constrains which lenses can be used on 2x3 Pacemakers is the size of the front standard. Many modern lenses, especially wide angles, have rear cells that won't fit through the front standard. As I said, the 250/5.6 TeleOptar and 160/5.6 Pro Raptar rear cells will clear. As I didn't say, the shutter has to be oriented just so on the board or its controls, especially the aperture lever, will foul the sliders that hold the board to the front standard.
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're usually OK as long as you can mount the shutter on the board. I had an 80mm Planar [made for the XL] mounted on a board for my Century. Only adjustment was that to mount the lens on the camera the rear element had to be unscrewed, the lens mounted, then the rear element was screwed in from the back with the lensboard retracted into the camera. It would close in that configuration. So, it's worth a try with other lenses.
mbachofen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank ya'll so much. I'm keen to get a wider lens like and 80 or 90mm, but am a bit strapped for funds. What about finding lens boards? Are there other brands that are the same size as the Baby Speed's? Also, I could swear I read that one can short out the M'synch on the Superflashmatic shutter to create X-synch, but I couldn't find it again. Mine has F and M only.
M.E.Bachofen
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never read that about the super flash, but tobolster the idea, I know the flashmatic X is nothing more than a super flash with the delay mechanism removed. so it might work!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-01 22:59, mbachofen wrote:
Wow! Thank ya'll so much. I'm keen to get a wider lens like and 80 or 90mm, but am a bit strapped for funds. What about finding lens boards? Are there other brands that are the same size as the Baby Speed's? Also, I could swear I read that one can short out the M'synch on the Superflashmatic shutter to create X-synch, but I couldn't find it again. Mine has F and M only.
M.E.Bachofen

boards? new thin reproductions @ $15 from goodwin photo. new reproductions, what I haven't seen, $19 from midwest photo exchange. a web search will find both.

x-sync? that's what you get if you don't cock the delay. in other works, just connect the flash and fire, and you'll get x-sync. to check set the thing up, cock the shutter, and fire it with an electronic flash against the shutter. if you have x-sync, the shutter will pass light.
mbachofen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes total sense. Duh. I think my synch must be broken. The shutter works great at all speeds, but one of the two pins is slightly wiggly for flash-synch. I cobbled together a pc-female to bipost female and plugged it all toghther, no flash. I shorted it out at each connection, so my cord worked. Any tips on fixing this?
m. bachofen
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to defeating the M Sync, I read to attach a thin strand of wire to the post nearest the cocking lever and ground it out. If the problems is in that post that should fix your problem. If not then repair of contacts is in order. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: