Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Date a camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x5 top handle Speed #29,831
Very old, educated guess will do!
Thanks Bert
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Gandolf is pondering, I'd like to as a few questions.....

Does it have a Graflex or a Graphic back?

If it has a Graphic back, which way does the pop up ground glass cover hinge.....very early ones hinged down, not up like we expect.

I"ve got number 29,2xx and it was stuff with newspaper from New York City! dated July 1911.

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring back w/pop->up< and side curtains! It has the wire aperture winder key, in place of the brass plate type....also has the Folmer & Schwing plate on a piece of wood, under the lensboard (like the old Cycle Graphic) only not so fancy! Not sure that the hoods you spoke of were supposed to pop-down as you suggest, I have seen one like that, but assumed it was re-installed wrong, as it makes no sense (to me)that it would act as a shade that way! And even 1900 Cycle Graphics show as pop->up's< in early catalogs! My pop-up is attached diff than any I have seen before---
spring is >pinned< to a thin flat bar, that has 2 screws under the spring on the left side....looks like they changed from that to the screw on the center hole after that...(same spring)! Even the Graphic focal plane shutter (the accessory back) shows as a pop-UP< in catalogs as early as 1900! I am assumming date on my camera to be between 1904 to 1910, as that tag under the lensboard does not show up in any catalog that I have seen, after 1910 (except on the early 5x7 Stereoscopic Graphic)in Paine's review (pg 13)??? Bert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: