Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on filters & Polaroid B&W 4x5 film
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question on Polaroid B&W film, and included this in a post on the wrong board (S.G. board) so I'm posting it here now:

When shooting the peel-apart pack film in 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" size (in glass lens-equipped 300 & 400 series folding bellows Land cameras), I use a Polaroid-made "cloud filter," an orange filter, for making the sky and clouds stand out--much like the use of yellow and red filters with traditional, non-instant B&W films.

Well, I have a Polaroid Cloud Filter for my 300/400 series Land cameras, but it's too small to cover the Ektar glass, so I tried a Wratten A (red) and then a Wratten G (dk. yellow) filters. The result: NEITHER filter produced a darkened sky. With both I got blank, utterly white skies in my attempted shots with these filters. Why is that?

What did I do wrong? Does Polaroid Type 57 not act like normal B&W film? Could it be the fact my Type 57 expired in Jan. 2001? The exposures seem right on, just the skies were blank, stark white.

Any ideas? Should I try some orange filter?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to shoot some more Type 57 with my Pre-Ann again soon!

--Micah in NC
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-21 21:08, Micah in NC wrote:

When shooting the peel-apart pack film in 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" size (in glass lens-equipped 300 & 400 series folding bellows Land cameras), I use a Polaroid-made "cloud filter," an orange filter, for making the sky and clouds stand out--much like the use of yellow and red filters with traditional, non-instant B&W films.

Well, I have a Polaroid Cloud Filter for my 300/400 series Land cameras, but it's too small to cover the Ektar glass, so I tried a Wratten A (red) and then a Wratten G (dk. yellow) filters. The result: NEITHER filter produced a darkened sky. With both I got blank, utterly white skies in my attempted shots with these filters. Why is that?

What did I do wrong? Does Polaroid Type 57 not act like normal B&W film? Could it be the fact my Type 57 expired in Jan. 2001? The exposures seem right on, just the skies were blank, stark white.

Any ideas? Should I try some orange filter?

Wratten G is an orange filter. I think the modern number is a #15 which we call a dark yellow but under the letter system G is Orange. From memory Y=yellow,A =Red,X=green and G=orange. Something like that. What matters isn't the apparent colour of the filter but what light it passes.

What did the sky look like when you took the picture? The filters darken the blue parts of the sky. If you've got no blue the then the sky won't darken. At leasts that's what my memory tells me this early morning.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you were close, I looked up in a Kodak filter book......

the yellows were under K, a K2 is the same as a Wratten #8,

The Greens were indeed X and an X2 is the same as a #13.

The A is the same as a #25 which is a fairly deep red and is part of a color separation pack, so it should have really knocked out the blue sky.

the G is the same as a #15, deep yellow by today's standards and used quite a lot with Protars to eliminate color fringing from the blue light. It should have had a noticable effect on the sky too.

Without looking at the photographs it's hard to tell but it's either expiration date, which at 3 years out I'm surpised you were able to pull a print, my old Polaroid always dries up. Or a greater than normal amount of cloud cover.

I've never been one to watch expiration dates. I use color film 2 years out, cheddar cheese 3 years+ (so my mild cheddar is now sharp, so what!?) but Polaroid gets pitched after about 6 months for playing with and 3 months for critical work.

Micah in NC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick & Les:
Well, thanks for the input. I guess I didn't have any blue sky to make darker--silly me. I forgot these filters only work to darken BLUE sky. I had really overcast conditions, it was about 8:00 p.m. and there was soft, diffused light that really made a wonderful print of an old cabin. Next time, I'll know to use filters with blue sky. (I'm repeating it here intentionally for my benefit, maybe it'll sink in my brain!)

I was knocked out with my results, except for the skies, of course, given that this was my first-ever attempt on Type 57 (or any Polaroid 4x5 film, or even any film at all with a Graflex, for that matter)! I am hooked!!!

The grain is non-existant to the naked eye, which is amazing given that Type 57 is ASA 3000 speed film--and, as Les said, it's VERY old! The sharpness of the 127mm Ektar at f/32 just knocked me out!

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm a true Graflex convert now!

Maybe I'll spring for some Agfa 4x5" Scala film next! Anybody done that here?

--Micah in NC
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you figured it out. I didn't think of overcast or I would have said something earlier...
I wouldn't worry about the age of the film much, especially B&W. I'm shooting types 52, 54, 55P/N and 79 (color), all at least a year beyond the expiration. All just fine, except maybe the color, but I never could get Polaroid color acceptable... The Type 55 may have gotten a little slower, but I was also using a new meter, doing some testing, and that may account for a drop from ASA 32 to 25? And this film was never even stored properly! Just left in the field bag along with the holder. Never tried type 57. But I may someday as that speed could be very useful! I'm a big Polaroid fan!

I've never tried the Scala for two reasons. I could only find one company in the US that develops it and home developing seemed a bit complex. If you manage it, I'd like to hear about it though. Actually didn't even know t came in 4x5!

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they darken blue light. If you've got shadows being lit by reflected blue light they would get darker.

I've got the same feeling about Scala. Even with the national Canadian lab for Scala just downtown.

One of these days I'm going to remember to order all the chemicals and I'm going to try the method in this link.

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/reversalproc.pdf

I've got the equipment. So it's just the chems.
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on the Type 55: the paper print and the negative are different speeds... the paper (I think) is more sensitive, so if you expose for the print the negative will be too thin. Of course that means if you expose properly for the negative, the positive will be overexposed. I tend to expose the stuff around ISO 32... but then my portraiture tends to be high contrast and I need the extra exposure to open up the shadows. So while you experiment with the 55, be sure to check what it is you're going to be exposing for.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
Yep, Agfa makes Scala in 35mm, 120 roll, and 4x5 (but no other film sizes, apparently). I did a search for on Google last night trying to find a Scala lab that will process the 4x5 film (the Agfa site lists three Scala U.S. labs while the Calumet site lists a fourth), but none on the list I saw except Duggal (NYC) mentions 4x5 Scala capability.

The film is available at B&H Photo in N.Y. among other places, see:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=113466&is=REG

If that doesn't work, try a search on the B&H website for: B&H Catalog # AGS2004510

Duggal's site says "Scala AGFA is the most versatile B&W transparency film and comes in 35mm,120, and 4x5; all rates at ISO 200.
Duggal's Shooting Tips on Scala: For Fashion shots: Shoot at 400 ASA, Process +1 stop. For Product shots: Shoot at 300 ASA, Process +1/2stop. Shots for reproduction: Shoot at 200 ASA, Process Normal. Scala can be "pulled" 1 stop to ISO 100 and "pushed" up to 3 stops to ISO 1600. Scala processing costs $8 per roll of 35mm or 120 and $2 per 4x5 sheet.
Scala push or pull processing is an additional $2."

Duggal's site is: http://www.duggal.com/01photo.htm#

No, I don't endorse or work for either company. (I have bought some things from B&H Photo, but I've never used Duggal...yet). I'm just letting you folks know what I've learned.

I guess none of this web reference makes a hill of beans difference, though, until I actually get some Scala, shoot it, and see for myself what the fuss is about. Hopefully, that'll be soon!

--Micah in NC
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I grabbed most of the Ilford pdf's a while ago since they make the only 8x10 film I can afford...
Did you notice the bleach? Concentrated sulphuric acid! There's the number one reason I haven't tried it. Just don't want to mess with the stuff. battery acid is bad enough... Which you can substitute for by the way, but I don't remember off hand the mixing differences.

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 14:35, vic valis wrote:
A note on the Type 55: the paper print and the negative are different speeds... the paper (I think) is more sensitive, so if you expose for the print the negative will be too thin. Of course that means if you expose properly for the negative, the positive will be overexposed. I tend to expose the stuff around ISO 32... but then my portraiture tends to be high contrast and I need the extra exposure to open up the shadows. So while you experiment with the 55, be sure to check what it is you're going to be exposing for.

jeff

Yep, I shoot it at ASA 32 also, or used to. I have to find out what the difference is but this last time I had to drop to ASA 25. The physical differences are two year old film and a new spot meter (first time out). I should have checked the exposures with the Luna Pro to double check, but I was playing with the spot. It does work great, but I may have to either adjust my usage or get new film? Yeah, I did triple check the spot for proper exposure readings before I took it with me...
By the way, have any idea what happens to type 55 negs when you leave them in a bucket of water for a week???
You get really nice, perfectly clear 4x5 sheets!
I was on vacation and completely forgot about the negs in the bucket. Boy was I suprised when I open it up after getting home... Now if I could just figure out how to get all that silver at the bottom of the bucket back onto the negs....

RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 20:28, Micah in NC wrote:
Rich,
Yep, Agfa makes Scala in 35mm, 120 roll, and 4x5 (but no other film sizes, apparently). I did a search for on Google last night trying to find a Scala lab that will process the 4x5 film (the Agfa site lists three Scala U.S. labs while the Calumet site lists a fourth), but none on the list I saw except Duggal (NYC) mentions 4x5 Scala capability.

The film is available at B&H Photo in N.Y. among other places, see:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=113466&is=REG

If that doesn't work, try a search on the B&H website for: B&H Catalog # AGS2004510

Duggal's site says "Scala AGFA is the most versatile B&W transparency film and comes in 35mm,120, and 4x5; all rates at ISO 200.
Duggal's Shooting Tips on Scala: For Fashion shots: Shoot at 400 ASA, Process +1 stop. For Product shots: Shoot at 300 ASA, Process +1/2stop. Shots for reproduction: Shoot at 200 ASA, Process Normal. Scala can be "pulled" 1 stop to ISO 100 and "pushed" up to 3 stops to ISO 1600. Scala processing costs $8 per roll of 35mm or 120 and $2 per 4x5 sheet.
Scala push or pull processing is an additional $2."

Duggal's site is: http://www.duggal.com/01photo.htm#

No, I don't endorse or work for either company. (I have bought some things from B&H Photo, but I've never used Duggal...yet). I'm just letting you folks know what I've learned.

I guess none of this web reference makes a hill of beans difference, though, until I actually get some Scala, shoot it, and see for myself what the fuss is about. Hopefully, that'll be soon!

--Micah in NC

Thanks for that info. I'll have to check again. Last time I looked, I think it was "Main" in California that did Scala and that's all that was listed in the US. I don't really have a use for B&W slides but wuld enjoy trying it. Just doesn't seem to be worth the cost and trouble. I wanted to try copying a negative to see what kind of positive it would turn out but never did get around to it. It couldn't compare with Scala but at least it would be cheaper...

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 20:28, Micah in NC wrote:

Duggal's site says "Scala AGFA is the most versatile B&W transparency film

Well it's also the only one-)))
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what percentage is battery acid? The acid bothers me to.

If you're willing to try a little experimenting the cheapest 8x10 is the lith film sold by Freestyle. 100 sheet box is $43.

For developer you'd need something like this.

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

I've got a box sitting in the freezer waiting for me to find the time. With the 8x10 I can cut it down to 4x5 and it's even a better deal-))

It would also provide more of that vintage look since it's Ortho.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-07-23 04:34 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-23 04:34, Nick wrote:
what percentage is battery acid? The acid bothers me to.

If you're willing to try a little experimenting the cheapest 8x10 is the lith film sold by Freestyle. 100 sheet box is $43.

For developer you'd need something like this.

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

I've got a box sitting in the freezer waiting for me to find the time. With the 8x10 I can cut it down to 4x5 and it's even a better deal-))

It would also provide more of that vintage look since it's Ortho.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-07-23 04:34 ]

Well, there's a price I could live with!
I haven't thought of using ortho since I was a kid (and decided against it then for some odd reason?). No reason not to try it now though. I'll read through that link later and do some looking into developing the film before I grab a box though. Luckily, I have 75 sheets of 8x10 here that should be good. Illford can be had at reasonable cost. Kodak is way out which makes me feel like a traitor somehow. Not only do I live in their shadow, but I'm a "buy American" kind of person (when I can).

Ooops, forgot about the acid part...
The Ilford formula says "for silution B add 10ml of concentrated sulphuric acid to 490ml water"
Concentrated is extremely dangerous stuff to handle! Battery acid is a bit safer but I forget it's concentration (somewhere between 25 and 40 percent?). Luckily, Ilford gives a mix for a 10% solution wich is fairly safe to handle and used to be easily obtainable. They say:
"If concentrated sulphuric acid cannot be obtained use dilute aid. This can be a 10% solution. If 10% sulphuric acid is used add 100ml to 400ml of water to make the part B bleach solution."
That would be my recommendation. I've been splashed with 10% a few times and as long as it's washed off in a few minutes, no harm done. Battery acid has to be washed MUCH quicker. Concentrated will burn immediately...
Just another little note. In "The Darkroom Cookbook" for formula #169 for Kodak R-15 Super Proportional Reducer, they sate that "4.25 grams of sodium bisulfate may be substituted for the sulfuric acid." Their mix is for 1/2 oz or 10ml of 10% acid.
I think I would rather have the sodium bisulfate powder laying around than a bottle of liquid acid!

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-07-23 07:02 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glanced at the book. In the formula they give the sub but earlier in the book they also mention the need to add sodium cloride.

I checked with the place I buy chemicals from and he sells 98% sulfuric acid in 1litre sizes or bigger. At 10ml a time that would last forever. Not something I'd like to have sitting around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: