Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Strob 500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
albeatty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi group,

I recently removed from storage my old wedding photography kit which included a Singer Graflex Strob 500 RG. It's been in storeage for at least 25 years and the battery does not seem to want to take a charge. Do any of you have an idea where I could get a replacement battery? Any ideas would be appreciated.

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 500 RG uses 'standard' "C" or "sub-C" nicad batteries. I have mine tucked away in a box and can dig it out if needed. As I remember, they're standard C (geez, maybe even D?) nicads soldered together to form a 12 volt pack. The grey battery pack comes apart and the batteries inside can be replaced. I doubt you could buy a new pack? But replacing the internal nicads is pretty easy if you can master simple soldering. Okay, the originals were welded. Takes a bit to jug the memory.

Carl is our resident expert on the strobs & batteries. If exact info doesn't pop up and you need it, I can dig mine out and take a look...

Okay, I just pulled the battery pack out, opened it up and checked. It will fit standard size D nicads! They're tight and you'd have to be carefull soldering them together or they won't fit into the pack. They're actually so tight that I didn't solder my replacements. I just used some metal foil strips from positive to negative... and the grey case held it all together (not a good permanent solution). The other option would be to buy sub-D nicads that have soldering tabs on them and are slightly smaller. They would fit much better and leave some room to work. The only thing that hald my plastic battery case together was a strip of tape all the way around the sides. Pull off the tape and it should split apart...

[ This Message was edited by: richs on 2003-07-28 10:23 ]
crvogt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graflex 500 uses D size Ni-Cads. You can pick them up at Radio Shack... Attache are some pictures of rebuilding the rechargable battery...

http://www.fototime.com/inv/2EFF53C67D2D80B

hope this helps
Carl
albeatty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the information. You are great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: