Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8x10 Speed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to get back for a moment to the 8x10 back... I cannot tell by looking att he image on the ebay page for sure, but it looks like some sort of variation on the standard pre-annversary set up to my old eyes. Set the tension with the knob below, wind the curtain on top. No need for a finger-activated shutter release on 8x10... the camera would have been on a tripod, thus cable release only. I suspect it will operate like the standard Graflex FP shutter. Details different, but principal the same. That's my guess anyhow.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-15 15:30, vic valis wrote:
And just to get back for a moment to the 8x10 back... I cannot tell by looking att he image on the ebay page for sure, but it looks like some sort of variation on the standard pre-annversary set up to my old eyes. Set the tension with the knob below, wind the curtain on top. No need for a finger-activated shutter release on 8x10... the camera would have been on a tripod, thus cable release only. I suspect it will operate like the standard Graflex FP shutter. Details different, but principal the same. That's my guess anyhow.

jeff

"with the knob below"? What did you see that I don't? I see the winder at the top and the release that the cable is connected to. Where's the other knob? I can't wait to get this thing so I can tell first hand. Since he mentioned different speeds, I hope there's a way to set them. Or he just cranked up a different position with the shutter winder?
I'll have to find my mini-Speed. I think that has the same type of shutter. All my other Speeds are the newer design...

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-15 05:21, clnfrd wrote:
Are you implying that I need to expose my film twice as long with my 2X3 cameras than you do with your 4X5's...or four times as long as with an 8X10? No wonder all my negs are coming out underexposed!!

Oh no. Of course not! You see, your shutters are directly proportional to your film size, so the exposure should be correct. It would only be a problem if you changed the film size or the shutter size. I'm thinking that if I put a 35mm back on the 8x10 I should be able to reach a speed of 2300 and up to 5700. Can't wait!

(yes, this is a joke!)

vic valis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad wording on my part: I should have said lower of the two knobs on the side. I see, in my pixel-y image, what appears to be a small knob on the side, gray, surrounded by some other gray thingy. If this works on the same principal as the Anniversary and earlier Speeds, you wind the aperature with the top wing-dingy, and set the tension on the main spring with he lower do-dad. Very technical, I know.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ebay example was not made by Folmer/Schwing! Examples of their backs have shown up several times lately on Ebay..
FS used the standard hardware parts as found on most of the older models of Speed and SLR's! The Circut camera had a back like this on it...and about the only thing that would have to change was the box size, the curtain itself, and the aperture tag for the larger models, but they were made to match the camera size, not just a small accessory added to a larger camera! Bert
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff: I'll take another look at the pic. Didn't look to me like anything else moved? Hopefully this'll be settled very soon

Bert: So other FP backs were made! It looked close enough to a Graflex product that I wouldn't have questioned it. Of course my main concern is just whether or not it works. But knowing who made it would be nice. Shame it's not a Graflex

vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 5x7 backs from time to time, same hardware as the typical speeds. I recall seeing (I think) a Graflex View, wood model, with the Speed back attached... that's what I'm thinking about. We'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-19 10:44, vic valis wrote:
I see 5x7 backs from time to time, same hardware as the typical speeds. I recall seeing (I think) a Graflex View, wood model, with the Speed back attached... that's what I'm thinking about. We'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

jeff

Not only 5x7 backs, but complete cameras! I may still buy one someday? But who needs another format? I know it would be a bit large for handheld work, but if they made a 5x7 speed, 8x10 cameras and 8x10 FP backs, then why not a true 8x10 Speed? The Century Universal comes pretty close as I remember, and if I _ever_ find one....

I've only seen one Graflex 8x10 back go, that I noticed anyway. I wanted it then, but it went for more than I paid for my camera... One reason I grabbed this one when I saw it. And it's still not here...

RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jeff, you were right. There's a knob at the bottom that controls the tension. From the pic, I thought that was just holding in the roller...

So it has finally arrived. There is no name on it. It does work. And it would be a great back for a _5x7_ camera The opening in the box is only 6x8 inches, far from 8x10... I don't know how they made this mistake. The box itself is only 10 1/4 inches square... And what a neat toy... I hate to return it... But if I keep it, I'd have to buy a 5x7 camera to go with it, and find one that fits... So much for my "8x10 Speed"...

P. Lynn Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this thread with interest... I want to build an 8x10 Speed to use with a really fast 12" lens for portaits and street photography. Yes, I want to shoot this thing hand-held. I also want the lens to be rangefinder coupled so I can shoot on the run.

My idea was to get my hands on a couple of donor speeds and use the shutter parts to build my own 8x10 focal plane shutter modifying parts as needed. Also using modern parts such as carbon fiber, kevlar, and etc, should allow for reduced weight and increased reliability.

Anyone else here already tackled a project like this or know anyone that has? Any reference literature, photos, etc of the Graflex 8x10 FP shutter would be useful.

Thanks,

http://plynnmiller.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: