Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any system for home processing of my 2.25 x 3.25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Les. When I said my Yankee tank is all black, I was referring to the exterior. The film-holding insert (basket) of mine is black with the clear top. When I make statements about this stuff I need to start LOOKING at it rather than trusting my memory. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-05-22 05:33 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much as a Yankee tank with a clear exterior top would be much good to anybody!

Although I have seen (and regret now that I didn't buy it)...... a bulk load tank that was clear. The store at RIT got them in, they were still in the box, obviously never used and were trying to sell them for $5 a piece.
alecj

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they were just teaching aids, Les! :roll:

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-05-22 07:26 ]
Jim23

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I indicated in an earlier reply that I did not have much luck with uniformity with the Yankee tank! Thanks to a private message discussion with "clnfrd" I discovered that my tank did not resemble his - it turns out that my tank is an FR not a Yankee. It does not allow for pre-filling the tank since the film slots are formed into the sides of the tank. I'm going to search at the next photo swap for a Yankee tank where the tank can be filled ahead of time and the sheets instantly immersed by lowering the insert into the solution.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can identify with Jim23. I've been using the FR tank with inconsistent results as well, thinking that it was Yankee. I'm considering now getting the Yankee tank that 45PSS was good enough to provide a link to earlier, for the price its bound to provide a better result than the FR and still allow for daylight processing. Thanks for the link Charles!!!

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-05-22 11:25 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to suggest keeping your eyes open for the following.

1) Some sort of motorized base. It should reverse direction. Beseler and Unicolor made them. They aren't very expensive.

2) A jobo 2500 series tank. At least the 5 reel tank. Bigger won't hurt anything but you'll need more chemicals. Get the cheaper tanks without the cog lid.

3) Reels. You need the 2509n reels for sheet film. Supposedly those reels handle everything from 6x9 to 4x5.

New the tanks aren't cheap but used they can go for a lot less. Unlike the Combi-tank that seems to sell for almost the full price. Not sure I understand that since most of the people I talked to sold thier Combi tanks to buy a jobo.

For B&W this setup will be almost automatic.

Also if you use 35mm or 120 then you can get those reels and use the same tanks and motor.
Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. I just checked the Jobo site. The 2509 reel doesn't handle 2.25 x 3.25. It handles 6x9 but they claim you have to use the special 2.25 x 3.25 reel.
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for one of these, Nick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2935680352&category=29993
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I've become spoiled with the Jobo tank. In the same tank I can put 4x5,120 and 35mm. With the smaller tank I have I can do a normal amount of film or in the big tank I could run a big batch. It almost runs itself. The motorbase is cheap. The tanks&reels can be cheap if you get them used. My setup lacks the temp control of a real Jobo unit but I'm 100% B&W so it's something I can easily live without. If the new tanks&reels were cheaper then it would be a perfect system.
jpmose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the JOBO tank with base loader and love it. I always get consistant results when developing 4 X 5. I just ordered 2X3 film to try my Miniature Speed Graphic (it has only be 19 years since I bought it!). I assumed the reel set to 6X9 would work! The length of the film doesn't matter since the reel would hold 5" but the width when collapsed may be too wide? I wonder if guides are deep enough on both sides to accomidate the slack?
jpmose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with JOBO in Michigan. They claim that 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film will not stay in the standard reel, set at 6 X 9. Therefore, a special reel (No. 2518) was manufactured by JOBO but now discontinued. It is still available at Cambridge Camera Exchange for $26 plus $9.75 shipping (ouch!). B& H didn't list it (nor did Adorama). I ordered one because I enjoy using the JOBO tank. JOBO also stated that 6 X 9 film loading guide will not work with the 2518 reel...it will have to loaded by hand but this is easier with the 2518 reel as it doesn't twist for adjusting size (in other words, the reel ends are in fixed position and aligned against the opposite side).
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about how this reel looks. When looking at one side, is it a continuous spiral like a roll film reel or several short spirals like a Nikor 4x5 sheet film tank?
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's similar to the 4x5 reels you've got three slots in two sets. I guess you could saying each of the six slots is a section of a circle.
jpmose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is the same reel (according to JOBO). JOBO files the ends of the existing reel, modifies whatever else is required then glues the two ends together. Therefore the slots are aligned side-to-side and much easier to load by hand (since the 6X9 film loading guide won't work on this reel). JOBO said they had a lot of rejects on the production line and with the low volume required, decided to cease manufacturing it. I just want to finally use my Mini Speed. It has a Graphic back so I'm stuck with sheet film (unless I modify it which I don't want to do).
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-15 05:34, jpmose wrote:
Actually, it is the same reel (according to JOBO). JOBO files the ends of the existing reel, modifies whatever else is required then glues the two ends together. Therefore the slots are aligned side-to-side and much easier to load by hand (since the 6X9 film loading guide won't work on this reel). JOBO said they had a lot of rejects on the production line and with the low volume required, decided to cease manufacturing it. I just want to finally use my Mini Speed. It has a Graphic back so I'm stuck with sheet film (unless I modify it which I don't want to do).
Um, JP, if you want to use roll film with a Mini, get a Graflok back and use a "modern" roll holder or get an Adapt-A-Roll 620.

There's a Graflok back made specifically for the Mini, with focal plane shutter sync terminal. The 2x3 Pacemaker Graflok fits the Mini, but doesn't offer flash sync with the focal plane shutter.

I've seen Minis with the correct Graflok. My 2x3 Pacemaker Speed's Pacemaker Graflok back came from a Mini.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: