Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown v.s. Super

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qumqats

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently become interested in trying out 4X5 photography. Everything I've done to date has been 35mm, but the recent aquisition of an Epson 2450 that will scan 4x5 tranparencies gives me an easy way to aquire high resolution digital images.

After having read much of the information on this web site I've concluded that the choice is between the Crown and the Super. The Speed models are out because they won't accomidate the wide angle lenses I would want to use.

The Crown is lightweight, but doesn't have the revolving back.
The Super is heavier, but has the revolving back.

So the choice seems to between a heavier camera and the revolving back.

Comments?
Am I correct in my assesment?
How much heavier is the Super than the Crown?
Any suggestiong for other cameras?

ADVthaAnksNCE
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not sure the Super is heavier than the Crown, but the Crown has linked rails inside the body, so when you use a 90 or wider you can still focus using the focus knob, even when the bed is dropped.

The Super doesn't have linked rails and either used lenses mounted in a helical tube attached to the lensboard or you have to focus by pushing and pulling the front standard, then locking it down and hope it didn't move.

If you want both linked rails and a rotating back, then you'll need to look at a Meridian. You'll get all that and more movements, but it's a good half pound heavier.
qumqats

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 05:27, Les wrote:
I"m not sure the Super is heavier than the Crown, but the Crown has linked rails inside the body, so when you use a 90 or wider you can still focus using the focus knob, even when the bed is dropped.

The Super doesn't have linked rails and either used lenses mounted in a helical tube attached to the lensboard or you have to focus by pushing and pulling the front standard, then locking it down and hope it didn't move.
.snip.

I've never handled either of the cameras. Can you give a farther description of what a 'Linked Rail' is and how it affects focusing of the two cameras?
Does the 'Linked Rail' question only come into play with the wider lenses?
Do both cameras normally focus with a geared knob?
Are you saying that the Crown will focus the wider lenses with the focus knob because it has 'linked rails', whereas with the Super can't and you focus by turning the lens itself?
Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that "qumqats" as in "I want 10 pounds of cumquats! C-u-m-q-u-a-t-s." From "It's a Gift" w/ W.C. Fields?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-14 06:46, qumqats wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-05-13 05:27, Les wrote:

.snip.

I've never handled either of the cameras. Can you give a farther description of what a 'Linked Rail' is and how it affects focusing of the two cameras?
Does the 'Linked Rail' question only come into play with the wider lenses?
Do both cameras normally focus with a geared knob?
Are you saying that the Crown will focus the wider lenses with the focus knob because it has 'linked rails', whereas with the Super can't and you focus by turning the lens itself?
Both cameras have a moveable rail on the front door that the front standard sits on when the camera is opened and the front standard is pulled forwards. The focusing mechanism moves the rail forwards (or backwards) to focus.

The Crown has a similar moveable rail inside the box that is connected to the one in the door by (guess what?) links. The links allow focus to be adjusted when the front standard is inside the box.

The Super has a fixed rail inside the box. To focus when the front standard is inside the box, the front standard has to be moved forwards (or back) on the fixed rail.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My super angulon 90mm infinity focuses with the front standard 3/4 on the front rail and 1/4 on the rear linked section/or fixed section of either a pacemaker speed/or a super speed. The drag caused by the fixed section does not prevent standard focusing on the super, but it does act like the lock is partially enguaged for infinity to 25ft. (It may be my camera body is worn also.)
If you want to use wider than 90mm, go with the pacemaker series.
Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: