Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bubble levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madball22

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get small bubble levels to put on my 2x3 crown graphic. I've tried to find small ones at hardware stores and home depot, but they only have ones to big to mount.
Les

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a shoe on my camera and then bought the shoe mount level from calumet.
AWT

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago I came across a 'picture-hanging kit' at the local supermarket that has all the requisite hardware for placing my framed "masterpieces" on the wall. Included in the $3 set was a bubble-level inside a rectangular block of clear Lucite approximately 1/2" x 1 1/2". It's great for levelling picture frames *and* it sits nicely atop my Crown. I level off in one direction (parallel to film plane) and turn the little thing 90-degrees to level in the other direction.

You might also try hardware stores and mobile-home supply stores.

And, of course, there's "wEPay". That's where I got a round bubble-level that I stuck on the base of my tripod head with double-sided tape.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a small circular bubble level at Sears hardware dept. a few years ago; don't know if it's still available. Stanley makes a small two-way level, item no. 42-182 ("Stanley Utility Level"); card-mounted, purchased at small independent hardware store (they still exist!). Both are suitable for our kind of cameras, but personally I find them inconvenient since I usually shoot my Century with the tripod center-post extended, and I'm not tall enough to see the level if it's on top of the camera.

That picture frame level sounds like just the ticket. I'm gonna look for one.

Another possibility is to get a 6" carpenter's combination square and level (Sears. cat. 39550) and take your readings off of the gg frame.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starrett tools makes a Bull's Eye and Line Level that should be available at good hardware stores. [Although I cannot find them in the Starrett onnline catalog, I do carry plastic line levels made by starrett in single and set packs.] Correction, the plastic line/bull's eye levels I carry are made by Empire, and I have not found a web site for them. Try the Sears Hardware Store not the hardware dept. of the sears department store; and I'm beting Ace and True Value hardware stores will have something simular.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-05-12 20:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-05-13 22:02 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous post I forgot to mention that I mainly use a line level that looks just like the Starrett one in the link above. Lay it across the top of the Century front-to-back and side-to-side. Best little gadget, accurate and it slips into a shirt pocket. There is also a bubble level built into my Bogen-Manfrotto medium gear head; I'm not sure how accurate it is, though, and for that matter it seems that there is never exact agreement among the several levels in my kit. Kind of like light meters. Probably the best aid, for architectural work anyway, is a gridded ground glass.
rsdean

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I need one, I'm using a little plastic line level picked up at the hardware department at a Walmart, probably much the same as the others mentioned above.

Rob Dean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: