Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart malfunction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larrys

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Crown 2x3. The images in the RF were not moving with movement of the follower lever. I pulled it off the body and popped the cover off, then stuck the lever back on the shaft. Held vertically, the prism will rotate when pulling the lever in, as from short focus to infinity. Releasing the lever, the prism won't rotate back. At that point, swinging the prism back to its neutral position sounds like it allows something to drop, and the cycle can be repeated. Before I dig any deeper, has anyone been there before? I'd like to know what pitfalls lie ahead. I've been through the archives (though not exhaustively), and read the adjustment procedures. This sounds like I'm looking for a broken or unhooked spring or something similar.
thanx!
-ls-
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there is a spring that can slip off the rear of the prism assembly. If you see the "straight" end of a spring off to one side of the prism, pull it back and seat it on the rear of the assembly. Fred.
larrys

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Fred -- I saw the spring you mentioned and it's ok. It turns out there's exactly one screw holding the deck on, and I finally summoned up the gumption to remove it. On the back of the deck there are a few cams, and one of them (wedge-shaped, not unlike a Graflex RF cam) had a tiny copper-colored spring about 3/8" long that would've pulled it downward had it been connected at the bottom end. Corrosion got the loop on the end of it. It's now hooked to the only obvious pin, so I think I can put it back on the camera and start working on calibration, and see if I can scrounge up a little half-silvered mirror for the next foray into this thing....
-ls-
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the 50% reflectivity beam splitter here. It's what several guys on this forum recommend. Fred. http://www.scientificsonline.com/ec/Products/Display.cfm?CategoryID=192841
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: