Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rangefinder Vs. Ground Glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as a new Speed and Crown user, I am still learning the ropes as it were. So far I have pretty much just used the GG to focus. My rangefinders seem to work, but I find them very squinty to use. The glass works better for me right now.

But I notice that a coupled rangefinder is a must for many people shooting LF.

So my question is this - What advantages do you see with the rangefinder over the GG?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view, speaking as a guy who made my spending money shooting news shots years ago...you don't have time to focus on the ground glass if you're shooting in a hurry-up situation. You have your film holder slipped under the ground glass back...the dark slide pulled...and for quick focus you use the rangefinder, shutter already cocked... sight it in the sports-finder...and you fire!! Try that with GG focusing. Fred.:grin:

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-09-10 16:04 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the gg solely for focusing is fine if you're only using the camera as a view camera. No so handy if you are handholding the camera. And, you didn't mention the focusing scales. I'd rather use them than the gg unless I must frame and focus precisely! That would remove the fun of portability of the Graphic for me.
Schmell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm....guess I have to play with it more. See, I actually got my old Calumet 400 series view camera BEFORE my crown and my speed. So I'm sorta coming from a view camera perspective. Perhaps I have to look at this differently. To me, the Crown is a GREAT portable camera. Then again, my 400 weighs like 25lbs and is a monorail!
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that Kalart purported with the rangefinder is that it doesn't have any depth of field. It's either in sharp focus or it's not.

When set up properly the Kalart will probably be brighter than a ground glass in low lit situations.
(of course this is of minimal advantage unless you are using flash, since you can't hand hold in low lit situations!)

and if you are lucky enough to have a Focospot attachment on top, you can focus in the dark, assuming you have the camera rigged for flash photography.

eaph

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the ground glass vs rangefinder topic: My 4x5's are used in the field where each shot was thought out at least a little in advance and was not a "grab shot".(I keep the 35mm handy for that) The ground glass was always my first choice for focusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: