Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Crown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2x3 Crown Graphic and it has just a couple of problems. 1.) When opening the camera the front standard won't slide onto the track on the bed. Similarly, when closing the camera the track onto which the standard slides doesn't match the track on the bed. Is there an adjustment to fit this? Do I have to send it to repair service? Any suggestions for repair persons? 2.) The door on the camera sometimes pops open and won't stay closed. Any suggestions.

Lastly I have a 100 mm Schneider lens that I would like to mount on the Crown Graphic but the lens looks like it will protrude too far out on the front and looks like it will press against the door. Would a recessed lens
board solve this problem? Where could I get a lens board? Many thaks for any help you can provide.

Jim MacKenzie, e-mail aikijim@aol.com

alecj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen, nor heard of, a recessed lensboard for a 23 Graphic.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the front standard "out of the way", bed at 90o, place a streight edge across the rail (yoke) sections. Bed and body sections should be at the same level. Body higher than bed, remove shim(s) under bed guide blocks; body lower than bed, add shim(s) to body guide block. Rails equal, front standard lock needs adjusting. Obsreve the grove in the inside of the rails, bed and body, it should be the same width on both sides and sections of the rails. Correct by reforming as needed.
The 4x5 pacemaker top rangefinder manuals listed elsewhere and refered to many times are close enough, as the design of the rail area did not change over the years, to help in repair.
Latch should be very simular to Top RF camera. Probable reform spring steel tab on body to compensate for wear or it is currently bent.
Just use a good lens pouch and remove the lens before closing, a recessed lens board would result in controls that could not be accessed.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-04-01 22:54 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds suspiciously like previous owner buggered up the rails by not closing the camera properly, i.e., make sure the front standard/bellows ass'y is fully retracted into the camera body before attempting to "close the door." Not fully retracting will put a nice bend in the rails resulting in the symptoms described in jimmk's post. Been there, done that. On my Century, I installed some "dummy prevention" in the form of a small brass washer under each rear screw-head in the bed rails; this won't prevent a recurrence of stupidity but does introduce a level of resistance that says to me "stop now you idiot and do it the right way."

If this was the problem, be careful when you straighten the bent rail ends. They seem to be made of some kind of soft metal, possibly brass, not designed for flexing! By the way, the brass washers came from my favorite small parts source, the model railroad hobby shop.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-04-02 00:34 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the door hinge could be sprung too, I have found several cameras with this problem lately from Ebay auctions! Bert
Jim23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 100mm Xenar, I have put one on a 2x3 Century Graphic. It was a challenge and there is a critical rotational position of the lens/shutter to make sure all of the levers clear the focusing rails,etc. with the camera closed. S. Grimes mounted the lens/shutter on the lensboard. I also had to bend the shutter cocking lever (mine has the last type of Compur shutter with the plastic-tipped levers). I cannot close the camera with the shutter cocked nor with a filter/hood on the lens. It all fits (barely) and works well together.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-01 16:58, jimmk wrote:
I have a 2x3 Crown Graphic and it has just a couple of problems. 1.) When opening the camera the front standard won't slide onto the track on the bed. Similarly, when closing the camera the track onto which the standard slides doesn't match the track on the bed. Is there an adjustment to fit this? Do I have to send it to repair service? Any suggestions for repair persons? 2.) The door on the camera sometimes pops open and won't stay closed. Any suggestions.

Lastly I have a 100 mm Schneider lens that I would like to mount on the Crown Graphic but the lens looks like it will protrude too far out on the front and looks like it will press against the door. Would a recessed lens
board solve this problem? Where could I get a lens board? Many thaks for any help you can provide.

Jim MacKenzie, e-mail aikijim@aol.com

Um, about the lens problem.

I have a number of lenses, some in shutter, some in barrel that are so big my 2x3 can't be closed with them on it. To close the camera, I remove the "too big" lens and put it in a safe container, e.g., a "Tupperware" food storage container. Come to think of it, most of my containers are Rubbermaid or generic, I doubt I have any real Tupperware.

Your idea of finding a recessed board for a 2x3 isn't the greatest. I'm not sure there are any for 2x3s. If there were, even a tiny shutter -- my smallest is a #00, just barely clears the light trap -- probably wouldn't fit inside one.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: