Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Lenses and Cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of buying a Crown or Speed Graphic. On occasion, I am going to want to use the rangefinder and a modern lens. IF I buy a camera with a top-mounted rangefinder, I'm going to need a appropriate cams. I would rather not have to make cams myself.

I have just compared the actual focal lengths of a number of Schneider lenses with the list of available Graphic cams. It's pretty clear that Schneider focal lengths vary from the cams. I imagine that I'll find the same with Fuji, Rodenstock and Nikkor.

Here are my questions. How precisely must the actual focal length of the lens match the cam? If there is no "tolerance", would it be difficult to purchase a cam that is for a slightly longer focal length and file it down? Is there a company that will make cams for me?

I'm beginning to think that the people who prefer side-mounted rangefinders have it right

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: redge on 2003-03-07 11:42 ]
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are others on this forum that are better equipted than I am to answer your questions but that doesn't stop me from making a few suggestions.
I've owned my 4x5 Crown since the late 70s and I have three older lens and matching cams for each one. The top rangefinder works great with these lens/cam combinations.
Okay, now my suggestion. Buy cams as close as you can get for your later model lens and don't modify those cams. Use them only to test for how far its out of focus and patterns and make new cams to experiment with and make mistakes. There is very little difference between cam dimensions so don't burn your bridges! I do prefer the later model Crowns.
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: