Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anatomical Grip for the Century

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilkidm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was dreaming, or I could be thinking of the Linhoff camera, but I thought I saw a photo once (probably on E-ay) that showed a 2x3 Century with the Anatomical Grip for the Graflex XL. Is this possible? I assume that the grip attaches through the tripod socket, and the shutter release fits like any other. Hmm, interesting possibility....
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't dreaming. After the debut of the XL, with its side grip, apparently the Century owners felt left out. Anyway, Graflex redesigned the mounting hardware and issued that grip for the Century.

It mounts using the tripod hole on the left side, [after the handle is removed] with a projection down into the lower grip lug to keep it from revolving. It was really handy. You had all kinds of options for mounting stuff on the top of the grip. The angle of the grip vis-a-vis the camera was adjustable too. Hard to find, but well worth it. Makes using the camera a real treat. Note, that grip will NOT fit the 45 series. The distance from the tripod hole to the handle lug is different. And, the hardware of the XL version can't be modified to fit the Century.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-03-03 19:48 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2911133145

I'm not sure what this means but this handle has a blank plate on top where a shoe should/would/could be/been/was/whatever.

this pics don't show it very well but the adapter plate that fits into the bottom handle lug and screws into the socket is somewhat triangular shaped and allows the post of the handle to be about 1/2" forward of the body, allow for much better balance.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2003-03-03 20:22 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, the handles came with a blank plate on top. Naturally, anything you wanted to put on top was extra, like a post or shoe.

Interestingly enough, for some strange reason I never figured out, there was a small bracket at the bottom of the handle which held a little strap. I took that off the first day. Since Graflex sold these with a bracket to mount on the right side of an XL [so that you could mount one on both sides for Aerial photography], that must have been a safety strap. Strange to be included in the Century package, however.
wilkidm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides eb*y, does anybody know where I could find one? About how much should I expect to pay for one in good shape. I know the XL ones go for about $60ish, give or take.
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in finding one, I have seen 1 in the last 2 years. It is a necessity for holding the XL, but I like the Vivitar grip even better, they will do even more like, mount a shoe flash on top. They fit the 4x5 and 2x3. or any other camera you have. They generally bring around 10.00. Just my opinion. Russ
Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the handle is relatively easy to find, it's that odd bracket that's the rare item.

I have an SWXL or XLSW and it came with a simple red plastic handle with a thread at the top, for screwing in the bottom of the camera and holding it like a lollipop. I've since seen other grips but never this one. And the SW can't use the anatomical because the body is too thin.
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, My XL grip has a threaded post on the top,with a white line on the knurled knob.It is missing the locking screw,and was stuck tighter you know what. I cannot figure what you would mount on this thing, it just looks ugly. Was this standard, I intend to make a plate and put this thing in the junk drawer. Russ
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it was standard for the XL. Cat. # with it was 7383. W/o it (called Special) - Cat. #7399 That little threaded sucker was called a Mounting Adapter (Cat. No. 7385). Graflex described it as: "Screw into base of Strop 500 lamphead to permit attachment to top of power pack or to tripod socket adapter of Multi-Grip." There was supposed to be a 1/4 x 20 bolt to hold that adapter onto the base, called a Tripod Socket Adapter Kit (Cat. 7384).

The strange thing, though, is that EVERY illustration in the XL brochure of the XL with the Multi-Grip, shows a plain top. The one I bought for my Century also came with a plain top. I can't imagine Graflex would be inconsistent. But, don't worry. LES will explain, won't you??

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-03-07 18:46 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: