Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top vs. Side Mounted Rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to purchase a Speed Graphic and I want to be able to focus using both the ground glass and the rangefinder. I gather that some people prefer the side mounted rangefinder and some people prefer the later top mounted finder. Comments on the advantages and disadvantages of the two types would be appreciated.
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Crown, not a Speed, but my vote would be for a good side rangefinder unit. The principal reason is you can reset the rangefinder yourself for different lenses with the side unit, whereas you need hard to find cams for each focal length with the top. Also, I personally think the side unit, made by Kalart, was better than the top (it doesn't have a name on it, so I assume it wasn't a Kalart).

The side unit operates via a swinging arm, whereas the top used a tube with little balls in it. Those tubes get clogged up with dirt over time and don't work as good (IMO). Fred Lustig can change them out, but I still like the side.

An advantage of the top is the focusing light projected through the rangefinder is already built in, whereas on the side it has to be added if not present. If you go side, look for on with a Focuspot already mounted on the top of the rangefinder.

Other than that, I can't think of an advantage other than age of one versus the other. Just my humble opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-02-27 14:39 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side rangefinder- Kalart (http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#KalartSide) or Hugo Myer (http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#HugoMeyerRangeFinder) musr be readjusted for each lens, which is not a problem if you shoot with only one focal length.
Top Range Finder-Uses cams to move the moveable mirror thus allowing use of many focal lengths without recalibrating. Find cams somewhere or make your own (http://graflex.org/articles/oakes/). Major Disadvantage- If you extend the rails beyond the minimun focus distance, usually 6 to 10 feet, the cam comes out from under the mirror arm and when returning the rails to infinity the cam causes a jam and must be removed, the rails retracted then the cam reinstalled. The tube with its balls and spacers are not a big problem if cleaned and lubed every 5 to 10 years.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-02-27 18:16 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question 15....okay 20 years ago and got a Top rangefinder. (actually its a Graphic Rangefinder). After many years and many cameras....... I prefer the side rangefinder.

80% of my shooting is ground glass so no rangefinder is needed for all 5 lenses I carry.

For the other 20%, the RF is set up for the 127, It has the magnifing attachment on which is a real help. I can adjust the RF to be as acurate as I want, I can go back and forth--a little too far, back up-- until its just right.

The Top RF has the difficulty of getting cams, the insecurity of making a cam to fit PERFECTLY. and since cams are adjusted by filing off the back, it's a one way adjustment. The Rangelite on top RF is a lot of fun to play with, and while the Kalart and even the Hugo has the same capability, it needs the very heavy flash battery case to go with it.

If there's an achilles heal to the Kalart is that sometime or another the semi silvered mirror becomes an even less semit silvered window and needs to be replaced, but that isn't difficult.

Although prices have moved up a bit, I still say the best bang for the buck is a Pacemaker Crown with a Spring back and a Kalart RF. Most of the Crowns will have the RF with the prism in the bottom which is prefered.

jdman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once ran a broadcast Betacam with battery pack, for about 3 hours (30#)and I was so tired I could hardly drive home. A backpacker special(Century 2x3) is nice for portable use.Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: